Signs Black out

Bill McQueen

I just started making signs and I was wondering what is the best way to get the letters black (or other color) with out a lot of clean up work.

Thank Bill

I have purchased (not made) a couple from vendors at markets and such. First they carve the sign then spray the whole thing with fast dry paint. Then they use a belt sander with vacuum dust collector to sand the surface. This leaves the letters black but the rest natural wood color. Methinks that might be the only practical way to do it.
Sign shown is about 40 years old.

Attachments

• Laughery sign.jpg
    Laughery sign.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 37
I've done them as described above, spray the lettering, and either sand the surface or paint with contrasting paint using firm foam roller in several coats with just enough paint as not to drip into the lettering. I've had better luck with sanding even if painting with a contrasting color as it doesn't take as many coats to cover the black overspray.

Thanks, I am routering into solid wood. I'm not going over about a 1/16 deep so I would need to be careful with a belt sander.

I tried spraying with flat black paint but I had to sand quite a bit to get the paint off a plywood practice board, so I was Leary of spraying a nice price of hardwood.

My friend used to make signs out of Cedar for outside signs, That's too is what I want to do as well. He used a spray dye to color in the lettering. I guess I might look for some of that.

I wanted to use pine mostly because of cost. I going over to the finishing forum to see what would be good to weather proof them.

Thanks for the quick replies.:thumb:

Bill

Seal it, route it, paint it, sand it :dunno::thumb::D

This probably makes good sense, but seal it all, since you'll have some grain stand up within the lettering. Sealing would keep the paint from soaking in on the areas you need to be clear a light sanding of the lettering would get rid of the grain that is standing up.

Would have to use compatible products though.