Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kitchen cabinets with 2 different finishes?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

kitchen cabinets with 2 different finishes?

Here lately on TV I see a lot of kitchen renos with either 2 different finishes between the upper and lower cabinets or 2 different woods altogether between the upper and lowers. What do you think of that?

THANKS
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I think they couldn't afford a whole kitchen so they got half at one yard sale and half at another.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Chuck!
    AKA The Rookie

I tend to watch a fair amount of the DIY Home Improvment type shows.

The way i look at is that a lot of the 'higher' level designs will look outdated far sooner than the simpler designs.

But the key thing is, if you like it go for it. Doing it for property value is a fallacy. Do it, and do it now, and then you will have more time to enjoy it while you live in it. We spent many years putting up with substandard stuff, and then when we moved out decided we should 'upgrade'. Stupid. We should have upgraded while we were there and enjoyed it...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I think they couldn't afford a whole kitchen so they got half at one yard sale and half at another.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Chuck.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    or they could be like allen and just decide that they want to mix up the wood...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

yeah, Brent, I agree. I haven't decided yet how I feel about the 2 colors.

This next house we're moving into, we plan on staying in until we leave in pine boxes. We're fixing it up exactly how we want it, just for us for our own taste. For the first time in our lives, we don't have any interest in whether anyone else likes it or how it might affect market value. this will be only for us. So I was just wondering about those two color cabinets that I'm seeing more and more. I think it's probably a fad. I've also seen cabinets where the panel is different wood than the frame.....

I've been planning all along to use Hickory--there's 2 colors for ya! I think Hickory is way too busy for any of that nonsense. but since I saw some Cherry, now I'm hesitating....Cherry is awful pretty.....
    AKA The Rookie

I've seen those shows too (probably because Brent had them on).

I think it's a fad, but one thing, it may draw the eye away from those times that you just don't get around to cleaning the kitchen (I'm really not trying to be funny/snarky like I usually am). I think those types of cabinets will draw the eye away from the overall look of the kitchen.

When I glance over at my kitchen (we have it all in a great room), I just like how subtle it is (even with all the misc. stuff on the counters). A simple maple. Perhaps if we had a separate kitchen "room", then I would be more daring with it's look.

But, I agree, if it is what you want, then go for it, and send us plenty of pics, because as you know, no pics, it never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    ...we plan on staying in until we leave in pine boxes...
    The trend these days is for two-toned boxes, maybe maple on top and cherry on the bottom. But I think it's a fad. Good ol' pine will go with any cemetery decor.

I tend to prefer a single wood and color for both uppers and lowers, but I've seen some beautiful raised panel cabinets with the (typically high-figured) panels a different tone than the frames.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Vaughn, pine is okay with me. Here's a photo I've saved for 10 years. I love this kitchen. It's pine isn't it? And see those round spindles? next to the lower cabinets? those are made with a lathe aren't they?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southernkitchen4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	46598
    AKA The Rookie