Ryobi router table switch gone bad

allen levine

I know this tabletop router table I bought used from some guy with the router is not a great item. But, Ive used the table dozens of times, and actually have grown to like it.
The router plugs in underneath to a power switch with another cord to plug in for power. The ryobi switch on the table stopped working yesterday.
Is there something I should look for in the switch that I can fix. I really dont want to buy a new power switch, but its so much more convenient using this on off method than reaching underneath looking for the router switch.
Can I rig any kind of light switch type in its place?

Yep, you can rig a regular old light switch and socket to do the same thing. Or get a switched outlet like this:

Another easy alternative (for about the same price) would be something like this:

power_switch.jpg

It's listed about 2/3 of the way down this page:

http://ptreeusa.com/routerControls.htm

Yeah Bart I agree but consider Allens condition. Also if it has already got filled with dust from use its only going to be a matter of time before it repeats the process.

Allen my vote is with Vaughns solutions. Just replace it and then you really can put the receptacle and the switch where you want it and its convenient to you for your needs.

I dont think Ill spend 30 bucks with shipping on a switch for this. I only paid 75 bucks for the table and router, and bit set together.
Ill go with bart for now, Ill have my son take it apart tomorrow and see if cleaning it out helps. If not, I think its the 2.29 light switch and outlet combo.

Here is what I did.

I received a Rockler router table top a while back from a friend that got it free from a garage sale, I gladly paid him $20 for it & put it on top of a plywood box made to clamp to a workmate & then put my free promo 2 HP Hitachi router underneath it & a plug strip with switch near the bottom of the plywood box on the in-feed side of the box

I opened it up, and guess what, its just a switch:(
a simple, little switch. And I cleaned it out, popped out the leads and wiped them with an eraser and tried again, nada.
the switch is gone to switch heaven I guess.
For now, I had taken a short extension with a switch and 4 outlet box on it, so I dont have to fumble for the router switch.
The power strip seems like a good idea. I have a few laying around,and I can either tap a screw into the table's leg to hold it in place, or the screw for the switch is very high, Im sure one screw will hold it in place.
Ive got limited knowledge, almost none when it comes to anything electric.

Attachments

• bed 445 (Medium).jpg
    bed 445 (Medium).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 15
  • bed 447 (Medium).jpg
    bed 447 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 16
  • bed 449 (Medium).jpg
    bed 449 (Medium).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
  • bed 450 (Medium).jpg
    bed 450 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 18
he fixed it!

I know its nothing to you guys, but he took all the pieces out and showed me the two small metal pieces inside had a tiny piece of sawdust preventing contact of them, and that's why it didnt go on.
It works again. Im happy.
Good to have a kid around thats helpful.

one speck of saw dust will stop contract, glad your son got it fix

A smart and helpful kid. :thumb: Takes after his mother, huh? :rofl:

Glad to see he got it worked out. I've had a few similar switches go out on me, but in each case a plastic part inside broke, making them virtually unfixable.

In about a year, I went through two switches that look almost exactly like yours in the remote box for my lathe. I finally replaced it with a push-pull headlight switch from a marine supply store on eBay, and it's worked great for a lot of cycles over the past couple of years. (I use the remote switch almost exclusively. The main switch is left on nearly all the time.)

My dads Craftsman Radial arm saw had a centrifugal switch on the back of the motor that would get clogged up and prevent the saw from working. A quick blast from an air compressor would usually set things right...