Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest in the Whale War soga

Latest in the Whale War soga

if your for or against it makes for interesting viewing pleasure:

Also, 'ole Paul Watson just got added to the Interpol wanted list:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100625/...s_japan_whalin
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

i think the show is funnier than all get out. to see these clowns trying to stop the whalers, especially when they rammed the one ship, and tried to say it was the other ship's fault, it just doesn't get any better. the best was when their little speedboat turned in front of the one ship, with no space to spare, then was hit and broken in two, then the one guy had the absolute nerve to try a citizen's arrest of the other captain for running down his boat. at least no one got hurt, and the speedboat guy is going to spend a few years in a japanese prison for his stupidity.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Link did not work for me. Seems they have pulled the news or something?
    cheers

try this one Rob , it give a full rundown on the operation;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthra...uture_things-0
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I understand that the whalers say that they are taking the whales for research. I never have heard what type of research they are supposedly doing, and who it will benefit. Certainly not the whales. And why are 1000 to 1200 whales needed for this per year?
    Capture, tag, and release...I'm not against that. No long term harm to the whales, and may help humans understand these creatures better, so that maybe we can do something that will help them. But killing that many whales per year? I don't understand that. I wish someone from that camp would explain to all of us. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim ever sense the tree huggers all got together to put forth a ban on hunting any thing hunters have been keeping one step ahead of them, in this case Japan who use the whale , every part of them and is a or use to be a main part of their diet as beef is here. A lot of countries still do whaling but Japan just found a loop hole so they can take more then the Anti's wanted them too. In every forum of hunting loop hole's are sought to circumvent the anti's progress.

they should take a better look at the reproduction rate vrs the mortality or seasonal take.. from what i have read they are taking them faster than they are reproducing..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry,

Yep. Blue whales are a good example. The oceans used to support about 300,000. They were hunted to near extinction by the 60's. Since whaling was outlawed, they've bounced back but only to about 5000. That's less than two percent of the original population.

The whaling operations are not subsistence hunters. They're enterprises, who can pay off their countries politicians to make their arguments for them. They're not doing research, that's just an excuse. They kill the whales to study them, which is a little like bombing the village to save it. Then, since the whale's dead, they say 'well, we may as well sell the meat.'

The same is true of many other species. Some people point out that we, as a species, will do just about anything to trash the planet, if it means profits this month. That was certainly the case with whaling, and the same people look at the gulf and see the same thing. The same stuff happened in forestry, which supplied some of our more desirable woods. Same approaches, same argument, same results. But please don't take my word for it: there's a fairly balanced article describing the controversy here.

As for me, I'm always going to root for the little guy. And a few guys, in a little boat, trying to get between a big corporation and it's prey, literally putting their lives on the line for what they believe in, well, courage like that is going to get my vote every time...

Thanks,

Bill

Do you guys REALLY want to get into this discussion here?

Remember, I'm in Japan, and this is a VERY hot topic here, the vast majority of Japanese people have NEVER tasted whale, and in fact even here in Tokyo you have to go out of your way to find it on a menu.

The whalers are a very small group of people who have friends in high places, heck they even got the education ministry to put whale on the menu for school kids once a year, lots of families protested by NOT sending their kids to school that day.

All that being said, the type of whale they are hunting, the Minke whale has considerable stock, estimated to be over 100,000 whales, Japan takes around 800 a year, Norway also hunts this whale, taking usually slightly less than 500 a year. Also some of the native tribes in Alaska and I think Washington State hunt the Bowhead whale, they take about 50-70 whales a year, but that is from a much smaller population of only and estimated 10,000 whales.

I think that the Sea Shepard thugs go after the Japanese fleet because they find them a soft target, if you want to read about the thuggish behavior.......

>> Sea Shepard's Violent History <<

Do we need to hunt whales, even from a sustainable population?

I do not know, I know I do not need any whale meat, but the same people who will commit violent acts to stop this hunt of whales, are usually aligned with the same group of people who have no problem at all with aborting babies.

Mods, if you see fit, remove my comments, I really do not care
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stuart your comment are valid and worthy of staying. Bill states that there are only about 5000 but I have heard the numbers you stated of 100.000 and growing.