Thread: El Colacho a very old tradition

El Colacho a very old tradition

This are some pics of the "El Colacho" festival, an old tradition that will problably look rather different from what you are used to.

It is held in the village were my wife was born. Despite its looks never ever a baby has been hurt.

http://www.demotix.com/news/351010/b...l-burgos-spain
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Ahh the festivals of European countries. Rich in traddition.

Can only imagine what the Childrens aid society would do here if they saw that.

Thanks for the post Toni.
    cheers

you spanish folk got some strange traditons toni
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I saw this on TV once, Toni. I think it's great when traditions continue on...I fear we may all lose where we came from, some day.

Very neat Toni, I like that they keep this kind of thing alive!

My parents have some 8mm film of my dad and my uncles tossing us kids around, kind of playing catch with the babies, I'm sure that if this was caught on video and posted on YouTube today, the kids would be in foster care in a heartbeat Funny thing is, in the film, you can see the various babies laughing and giggling their diapers off, they are having fun. The kids were not "Babies" they were old enough to sit up and hold their own heads up etc. Heck I turned out all right
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

It looks strange only because it is not our or understood. I'm sure some events in the U.S. would look strange to others as well. We once had some visitors from Zimbabwe over the 4th of July. We took them to a big fireworks festival. It proved to be a very traumatic downer for them. The fireworks reminded them of bombs bursting (exactly what they are supposed to represent) and the war they recently (at that time about 20 years ago) went through. To them, it was not celebratory or exhilarating at all. Some native American Indian festivities might look very unusual as well. I find the Spanish event very interesting. I thought "jumping babies" would mean seeing babies jump.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Oh, those Spaniards and their strange traditions. They should have sensible, meaningful traditions like us. You know, like watching a groundhog's shadow to predict the weather, or getting falling-down drunk on green beer in celebration of some Irish saint guy or something.

Cool pics, Toni. Thanks for the link.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I think there's an Indian festival where they actually throw babies off the roof of a house! Not Native American, but India India. Again, I'm sure they take 'some' safety precautions....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

El Colacho isn't all that different than traditional Halloween (yes, I know, European orginated) where scary demon costumes are supposed to scare away real demons. Today, the really scary demons are school principals who don't allow practice of the tradition as intended.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire