El Colacho a very old tradition

Ahh the festivals of European countries. Rich in traddition.:thumb:

Can only imagine what the Childrens aid society would do here if they saw that.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the post Toni. ;):thumb:

Very neat Toni, I like that they keep this kind of thing alive!

My parents have some 8mm film of my dad and my uncles tossing us kids around, kind of playing catch with the babies, I'm sure that if this was caught on video and posted on YouTube today, the kids would be in foster care in a heartbeat :rolleyes: Funny thing is, in the film, you can see the various babies laughing and giggling their diapers off, they are having fun. The kids were not "Babies" they were old enough to sit up and hold their own heads up etc. Heck I turned out all right :rolleyes: :D

It looks strange only because it is not our or understood. I'm sure some events in the U.S. would look strange to others as well. We once had some visitors from Zimbabwe over the 4th of July. We took them to a big fireworks festival. It proved to be a very traumatic downer for them. :( The fireworks reminded them of bombs bursting (exactly what they are supposed to represent) and the war they recently (at that time about 20 years ago) went through. To them, it was not celebratory or exhilarating at all. Some native American Indian festivities might look very unusual as well. I find the Spanish event very interesting. I thought "jumping babies" would mean seeing babies jump. ;)

Oh, those Spaniards and their strange traditions. :rolleyes: They should have sensible, meaningful traditions like us. You know, like watching a groundhog's shadow to predict the weather, or getting falling-down drunk on green beer in celebration of some Irish saint guy or something. :p

Cool pics, Toni. Thanks for the link. :thumb:

I think there's an Indian festival where they actually throw babies off the roof of a house! Not Native American, but India India. Again, I'm sure they take 'some' safety precautions....

El Colacho isn't all that different than traditional Halloween (yes, I know, European orginated) where scary demon costumes are supposed to scare away real demons. Today, the really scary demons are school principals who don't allow practice of the tradition as intended.