Mystery Plane from the Cobwebs

Hi all:

I was talking to my husband the other day about planes, and all of a sudden a light went on for him, "I've got a plane!"

Here it is. Can anyone tell me a) what kind of plane it is, b) would it be any good, c) should I get it back in order, d) how to clean the rust off e) any idea of the age?

Thanks so much,
Cynthia
plane2.jpg

plane1.jpg

plane3.jpg

Hi all:

I was talking to my husband the other day about planes, and all of a sudden a light went on for him, "I've got a plane!"

Here it is. Can anyone tell me a) what kind of plane it is,
It's a Stanley says so right on it looks to be a #4
b) would it be any good,
Yes
c) should I get it back in order, Yes
d) how to clean the rust off Do a search here there is a few restoring plane threads
e) any idea of the age? Not very old

Thanks so much,
Cynthia
View attachment 46612

View attachment 46610

View attachment 46611

answers in green

What Chuck said... :thumb:

Sharpening and restoring planes is a vortex that can trap one very quickly...

Look up something called 'Scary Sharp' that uses very fine grits of sandpaper and float glass. It's a good cheap way to get a plane sharp and back into working order...

Looks like you have a relatively new (Post 1970) Stanley #4. The blue paint kinda gives the age away... While not as well thought of as some of its older brethren, the newer Stanleys can be sharpened and tuned to be quite decent users.

Start by just cleaning off the rust and dirt, then sharpening the iron. A 30° or so bevel will be good, and when you reassemble the plane, make sure the blade's bevel goes DOWN. Adjust it for as fine a cut as you can get, and use the lateral adjuster to try for an even cut clear across the blade (sometimes hard to do, BTW).

Once you get the first one working well, it becomes addicting. DAMHIKT...:D

Attachments

• DSCN0157b (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0157b (Medium).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 42
:rofl::rofl: ya mean the thingermabobber that you put your hand on isn't a *handle*? You want me to say, "tote"? Gee I don't know Don if my brain is big enough to learn a lot of new words......Do I hafta?:D

You "Hafta" if you want these Neanderthals to talk shop with ya... :thumb:

On the front of the shoe should be a number but, yes, the length is a give-a-way... Do some research on restoring before even approaching a new plane. There are volumes written on proper procedures to restore as well as proper planing techniques.

Learn what a frog is and such, then remember to always lay the plane on its side to protect the blade. (or else racked in a manner to protect the blade)

You "Hafta" if you want these Neanderthals to talk shop with ya... :thumb:

On the front of the shoe should be a number but, yes, the length is a give-a-way... Do some research on restoring before even approaching a new plane. There are volumes written on proper procedures to restore as well as proper planing techniques.

Learn what a frog is and such, then remember to always lay the plane on its side to protect the blade. (or else racked in a manner to protect the blade)

sounds like the ole school teaching coming threw again:) in her pic bill, it doesnt seem to have a no. and might be a 3 but more than likely a 4. and to her a frog is green right now:)

...remember to always lay the plane on its side to protect the blade. (or else racked in a manner to protect the blade)

Yeah, that way the blade (iron, actually, Cynthia) can slice your hand instead of the wooden bench top.

Rant on: I wonder who the misguided shop teacher was who first insisted on laying a plane on its side to 'protect' the blade? The blade is made to cut wood, so laying it, blade down, on a wooden bench can't hurt it, and it actually protects it from damage, as well as protecting the user (or a passerby) from damage, too.

Okay, rant off...

Yeah, that way the blade (iron, actually, Cynthia) can slice your hand instead of the wooden bench top.

Rant on: I wonder who the misguided shop teacher was who first insisted on laying a plane on its side to 'protect' the blade? The blade is made to cut wood, so laying it, blade down, on a wooden bench can't hurt it, and it actually protects it from damage, as well as protecting the user (or a passerby) from damage, too.

Okay, rant off...

Why blame a shop teacher??? Could have easily been a dad or grampa that did that also! :dunno::huh:;););)

Jonathan i blame the shop teacher and my backside remembers very well. I felt it many times when i put the plane down flat on a wooden bench. Could never figure the logic of his approach to turning it on its side.:D:rofl:

But i owe him more for getting me hooked in woodworking than to hold it against him;):thumb:

Oh Jim every time i see that picture i think mmmmm I guess you have sharpening day in the Delaney houshold much like others have laundry day.:rofl::rofl:

Great Grandpa grabbed me by the ear and headed for the shop pointed and said never sit it on the bench like that again lay it on it's side or else. I didn't want to find out what or else was gona be SO I lay them on the side. And that's my story and I'm sticken to it. :wave::D

Jonathan i blame the shop teacher and my backside remembers very well. I felt it many times when i put the plane down flat on a wooden bench. Could never figure the logic of his approach to turning it on its side.:D:rofl:

That was my experience, too, Rob.

Oh Jim every time i see that picture i think mmmmm I guess you have sharpening day in the Delaney houshold much like others have laundry day.:rofl::rofl:

Actually, more like days - or even weeks - but I do like to put them on the shelf ready to use. I don't want to have to sharpen before using. It takes away from the productivity momentum...:rolleyes:

Okay, rant off...

Not misguided but intelligent, Bench tops are cluttered with hard solids and shavings of all types and the keen edge can be damaged by substances other than wood. (Screws, filings, grit, brads, sandpaper, & sandpaper grit) Also who wants to plane the bench top. What misguided passerby would slide his/her body across a plane laying on a workbench?

You can argue this till blue in the face but of course I'm right and you will continue to be wrong as long as you wish. Just trying to enlighten a new user before old bad habits are formed. You can continue your errored ways all you want but as for me, the correct tried and true plane placement is preferred.

I know there are a number of misguided supporters for your opinion as well as there is a host of old school fellows who know better. Guess that is the reason there are elections every 4 years, and so many different churches and bars on the block.

If fearful of a passer-by slicing due to contact with an exposed blade, then learn to turn the plane to the wall when you lay it on its side. Simple solution for a minor concern. Natural positioning of the tote when you lay it down on its side is to place it with the blade away from the edge, it would be awkward to turn it toward the passing public as it would require twisting your wrist to do so.

As for designed to slice wood, true it is designed to cut wood introduced to the blade in a slicinng direction but placing the plane with the blade down introduces the wood pressing on the side of the bevel and that thin edge can easily be bent and create a wavy edge, nicks, rolled edges and chips are all possible when the blade contacts the bench or any substance on the bench. Best storage is as you have shown, with the plane on end resting against the back, as it is obviously tilted, the blade is held clear of the storage unit.

Too sad that you were absent or not paying attention when your misguided shop teacher tried to explain this...

I know this debate will go on as long as knuckle draggers still exist (I say this in a comic admiration sort of way) Guess this is why some have gone over to the electric side where thickness planers are hard to turn on their sides. We could (and should) spend endless hours discussing this over a beverage of choice.

We could (and should) spend endless hours discussing this over a beverage of choice.

I'll drink to that...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 298233.jpg
    298233.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 41
...I know this debate will go on as long as knuckle draggers still exist (I say this in a comic admiration sort of way) Guess this is why some have gone over to the electric side where thickness planers are hard to turn on their sides. We could (and should) spend endless hours discussing this over a beverage of choice.

Well, I gotta admit that my first comment would hafta be a "B" followed by some hieroglyphics, so I guess I'll just refrain. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::D