Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening a Card Scraper

Sharpening a Card Scraper

Any of you guys seen this?

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/the-e...sharpen-a-card

A guy says he only uses a file to sharpen his scrapers and doesn't use a burnisher. I tried it today, but his method didn't work real good for me.

I filed mine, put it on a 1200 grit diamond stone, then burnished it and it seemed to work pretty good. Did 3 of the scrapers (Got plenty to use them on coming up).
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    The latest Issue of Shop Notes Vol 19 Issue 112 has a great piece on making and sharpening scrapers.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

The guy in the video makes it clear from the start that his method does not produce a scraper edge like most of us think of. He uses the card scraper to remove mill marks prior to beginning his sanding protocol with his ROS. He says that his sharpening method will not leave a surface ready for finish. I see nothing wrong with what he is doing, its just not how I use a scraper (I am no expert, believe me),

I prep the edge of the scraper so that I can go straight to finish. Once you do it a dozen times or so it is actually quite quick. I am thinking that maybe I should try hand sharpening chisels again. This is something I have never been able to do well but, maybe learning to put an edge on a scraper has broken the curse(?) . . I doubt it; but maybe .

This is yet another example of how many ways there are to accomplish our tasks associated with this wonderful hobby. One way is not necessarily right while another is wrong (although those exist). Watching what others do expands my education and possibly alters my own methods. Wow, I've got myself all worked up; I gotta go out to the shop and scrape something .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kinda what I thought Glenn.

Still working on this sharpening stuff, but I know what I have is way beyond what the old masters worked with, and they managed to make things I can never hope to master...

Still I've got a bunch of excess glue to get rid of, and I think his method might work pretty well for getting rid of the squeeze out...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Kinda what I thought Glenn.

Still working on this sharpening stuff, but I know what I have is way beyond what the old masters worked with, and they managed to make things I can never hope to master...

Still I've got a bunch of excess glue to get rid of, and I think his method might work pretty well for getting rid of the squeeze out...
    Brent,
    I use my chisels for getting rid of glue squeeze out/ sharp chisel, bevel up and it come right off..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Amen to that. I'd be lost without my WorkSharp .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have always burnished the edge of a scraper, what a Pain in the whats-it... I'll try this method a time or two to see if it is faster, quicker, better, or not.

Just spent about a half hour scraping my table top with my 'normally' sharpened scrapers. Worked pretty good.

Tomorrow I'll give this guys technique a try.

What I can say is wow, using a scraper works good, but man these things can heat up and burn your thumbs pretty quick....

A few years back, I watched one of the guys in the cabinet shop at Williamsburg sharpen his scraper.

He swiped it across a file, which was held on edge in a piece of wood, then made about three light passed along the sides with a burnisher, then maybe half a dozen very light strokes along each edge. The whole procedure took him about thirty seconds. He then commenced taking gossamer thin shavings off a maple drawer front.

I've been using his sharpening method ever since. As I recall, I showed that technique to Larry when he came to visit last Summer. Tried it yet, Larry?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

This must have been mental telepathy having this post.

Yesterday after logging out i went to my shop to sharpen my scrapers.

Today i was gonna post a question to the pros on how to get it done.

So i followed what i thought was the process. Took a specially saved nice new flat file. Ran it across the edge with the scraper held in the vice. Got the nice flat surface. Then took my newly manufactured burnisher that i specially made for this purpose and tried to roll/run/blend whatever you want to call it a burr on it.

Try as hard as i could i got only a very small burr which was not able to do much.

Strange thing is i thought that having had the experience this guy has with my scrapers when i picked them up from LV as new, i thought heck the scraper without any burr is more effective than with one.

Thats when i realized i was in now way achieving what i was supposed to with the burnisher.

I now wonder about the steel type used cause it certainly aint soft to "push over" and form a burr and believe me i tried with all my weight.

I was very dissapointed with myself to say the least. The only thing that put my mind to rest is being comfortable that the burnisher is as good as it gets (Ron Hock bar) and the scrapers came from LV so they should not be scrappy steel.

Its obviously technique or skill that is missing.

But what size should one expect the burr to be?

Why the honing you guys mention. I dont see where that makes a difference.
    cheers