Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING - RANT

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING - RANT

sorry for the shouting but I have to get this off my chest. One of my nephews just became a daddy for the first time his name is mathew and his moms name is Kristine. Both very nice names so now they have there own first born, a bouncing baby boy 8 lb. 1 oz and 21" long and what do they name him. "Kingston".... what are they thinking, this poor kid had to go through life with a name of a city in Jamaka as his first name...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

King, for short? Nice ring.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

"Glenn" is not an unusual name but, it has been mispronounced or misunderstood 8 times out of 10 my entire life. I get Clem, Lynn, Ken, even Greg which I can never figure out. I can only imagine what Kingston will go through. At any rate, my daughter got an unusual name but, when it came to the boys; they got "Dave" and "Joe". . . That oughta do it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kingston is different, but I don't think it's any stranger than some of the other names kids are getting these days. At least it's not some strange spelling of a common name, like Dayvid or Harri. (And maybe they were thinking of Kingston computer memory, not some city in Jamaica.)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "Glenn" is not an unusual name but, it has been mispronounced or misunderstood 8 times out of 10 my entire life. I get Clem, Lynn, Ken, even Greg which I can never figure out. I can only imagine what Kingston will go through. At any rate, my daughter got an unusual name but, when it came to the boys; they got "Dave" and "Joe". . . That oughta do it.
    Hmm... Clem Bardley has a nice ring to it. The fact that it rhymes with your dad's first name is a nice touch, too.

People usually pronounce my name correctly, but had my share of Ron, Don, John, Bon, Fawn, and Clarence, which I never did figure out. And I've seen spellings of all shapes and sizes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Naming a child is quite something when you think about it, we tried hard to come up with names that would be good in both English and Japanese, but when my eldest daughter Erika was born, all the names that were on the list went out the window, one look at her and the name just popped into my head, no explanation, it just did

Erika May Ablett

My maternal grandmother was named May, the story goes that great grama had like 8 kids, and when grama was born, in May, they had run out of names, so they just named her May Erika's middle name is in honor of my grandmother.

The second daughter, Mizuki was named by my wife, she likes the name, and it is easy to say in English, I don't think many people will misread it....

Me-zoo-key if I had to sound it out for you, I think that is fairly obvious from "Mizuki" Also it is the Dogwood flower, which happens to be the provincial flower of BC, where I'm from.

I guess Don you can be glad they did not name him "Sue"
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...I guess Don you can be glad they did not name him "Sue"
    My first wife had a cousin named Pleasure Muzak Sturkell. How much you wanna bet there were drugs or alcohol involved in that naming session?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Don don't worry about it. It is their son and they will have to deal with any issues that go with their choice. Just be happy for them and share the joy. It is healthy and happy it has two arms and legs and all the proper things where they need to be. Pass on my best to them ( my last one just moved out time to change the locks)
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I feel your pain Don.

I'm admittedly conservative and old fashioned. I stressed to my kids that the cute little name you give your kid is fine until they grow up and have to live with it in the adult world.
    My son married a girl with 3 kids
    Her kids are named Zaid, Camdiin, and Gauge.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    what do they name him. "Kingston".... what are they thinking, this poor kid had to go through life with a name of a city in Jamaka as his first name...
    Maybe they're fans of Dan Aykroyd, who names his daughter "Belle Kingston" ... after a city in Canada, not Jamaica.

But I do agree with you about parents and weird kid names.
    One of the other things that gets me is when parents give a somewhat typical name but then go all weird with the spelling (e.g. crystal, krystal, cristal, krisstahl, christel, etc)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

there are more places with the name of kingston don,, one in canada which is a college town nice place, and hey its not like they named him like the crysler commercial some time ago... and its way better than SUE..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!