WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING - RANT

Don Baer

Staff member
sorry for the shouting but I have to get this off my chest. One of my nephews just became a daddy for the first time his name is mathew and his moms name is Kristine. Both very nice names so now they have there own first born, a bouncing baby boy 8 lb. 1 oz and 21" long and what do they name him. "Kingston".... what are they thinking, this poor kid had to go through life with a name of a city in Jamaka as his first name...:huh::dunno:

"Glenn" is not an unusual name but, it has been mispronounced or misunderstood 8 times out of 10 my entire life. I get Clem, Lynn, Ken, even Greg which I can never figure out. I can only imagine what Kingston will go through. At any rate, my daughter got an unusual name but, when it came to the boys; they got "Dave" and "Joe". . . That oughta do it.

Kingston is different, but I don't think it's any stranger than some of the other names kids are getting these days. At least it's not some strange spelling of a common name, like Dayvid or Harri. (And maybe they were thinking of Kingston computer memory, not some city in Jamaica.) :)

"Glenn" is not an unusual name but, it has been mispronounced or misunderstood 8 times out of 10 my entire life. I get Clem, Lynn, Ken, even Greg which I can never figure out. I can only imagine what Kingston will go through. At any rate, my daughter got an unusual name but, when it came to the boys; they got "Dave" and "Joe". . . That oughta do it.

Hmm...:rolleyes: Clem Bardley has a nice ring to it. :thumb: The fact that it rhymes with your dad's first name is a nice touch, too. :rofl:

People usually pronounce my name correctly, but had my share of Ron, Don, John, Bon, Fawn, and Clarence, which I never did figure out. :D And I've seen spellings of all shapes and sizes.

Naming a child is quite something when you think about it, we tried hard to come up with names that would be good in both English and Japanese, but when my eldest daughter Erika was born, all the names that were on the list went out the window, one look at her and the name just popped into my head, no explanation, it just did :dunno:

Erika May Ablett

My maternal grandmother was named May, the story goes that great grama had like 8 kids, and when grama was born, in May, they had run out of names, so they just named her May :D Erika's middle name is in honor of my grandmother.

The second daughter, Mizuki was named by my wife, she likes the name, and it is easy to say in English, I don't think many people will misread it....

Me-zoo-key if I had to sound it out for you, I think that is fairly obvious from "Mizuki" :dunno: Also it is the Dogwood flower, which happens to be the provincial flower of BC, where I'm from.

I guess Don you can be glad they did not name him "Sue" :D

Don don't worry about it. It is their son and they will have to deal with any issues that go with their choice. Just be happy for them and share the joy. It is healthy and happy it has two arms and legs and all the proper things where they need to be. Pass on my best to them :thumb::thumb: ( my last one just moved out time to change the locks:rofl::rofl::rofl:)

I feel your pain Don.

I'm admittedly conservative and old fashioned. I stressed to my kids that the cute little name you give your kid is fine until they grow up and have to live with it in the adult world.
My son married a girl with 3 kids :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
Her kids are named Zaid, Camdiin, and Gauge. :dunno:

what do they name him. "Kingston".... what are they thinking, this poor kid had to go through life with a name of a city in Jamaka as his first name...:huh::dunno:

Maybe they're fans of Dan Aykroyd, who names his daughter "Belle Kingston" ... after a city in Canada, not Jamaica. ;)

But I do agree with you about parents and weird kid names.
One of the other things that gets me is when parents give a somewhat typical name but then go all weird with the spelling (e.g. crystal, krystal, cristal, krisstahl, christel, etc)

there are more places with the name of kingston don,, one in canada which is a college town nice place, and hey its not like they named him like the crysler commercial some time ago...:eek: and its way better than SUE..:D

My oldest daughter's name is Fina (rhymes with china), second daughter's name is Tess. Let's see, which side of your rant am I on?:huh::dunno: Come on Gramps, let's see the love for Kingston and you can always nickname him for them, Bubba has a nice ring don'tcha think? ;) Four years from now a new shop helper! :thumb::thumb: They have two more and you have the Kingston trio!!!:doh: Don, being grandparents we just have to love 'em and the hardest part is keeping our mouths shut while they make dumb mistakes like we did and our parents kept their mouths shut. :thumb::thumb:

Don,
Just be glad they didn't use a scrabble board to build a name... some of the names I've seen look like that... just draw a number of letters and see if you can make a word with them....:dunno::dunno:

My son's name is Jason... I wanted a name that wasn't every kids on the block's... back when he was born the most common name was Christopher... I didn't know any kid name Jason, so when he started school, there were no less than 4 other kids in his class named Jason.... :dunno:

Kingston is different, but I don't think it's any stranger than some of the other names kids are getting these days. At least it's not some strange spelling of a common name, like Dayvid or Harri. (And maybe they were thinking of Kingston computer memory, not some city in Jamaica.) :)
snip

Or could be Kingston , Oklahoma. Have they had a nice visit to Lake Texhoma State Park? (Kingston, OK) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glenn, my wife's name is Glenna. Don't know where that came from, or if as the first born she was supposed to be a boy. She gets called Glenda a lot. Surprisingly, she has a music student who's mom is also Glenna. And even more surprising, her Dad's name is also Jim!

Don't get me started in how we name the dogs! But I do agree with you, parents come up with some strange names at times. Have you heard the joke about the kid named "Nos Mo King" ? :rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

My name is actually a Scottish surname, the name of Scottish kings I'm told :rolleyes:

I always have to say "Stuart, with a 'U' not an 'EW' " when I'm telling someone my name. I was supposed to be a girl too, but I surprised them, so they had no boy's name ready, I was also born on a gurney in the elevator, the night nurse delivered me, she was Scottish and guess what her surname was...... :D Yep, Stuart.

Not a bad way to get named, I'm just glad her surname was not Macdonnchaidh, Macdonachie or Macolchallum, could take a while to spell those out :eek: :D

sorry for the shouting but I have to get this off my chest. One of my nephews just became a daddy for the first time his name is mathew and his moms name is Kristine. Both very nice names so now they have there own first born, a bouncing baby boy 8 lb. 1 oz and 21" long and what do they name him. "Kingston".... what are they thinking, this poor kid had to go through life with a name of a city in Jamaka as his first name...:huh::dunno:

Don, I completely agree with you. This is something that I hate. I think it's really hard on the kids in school. For me, even worse are the odd names when you don't know if it's a boy or a girl.

No one ever knows how to spell Cynthia. In fact, I had a boss that called me Sylvia for 10 years. :rofl::rofl: I guess I made a big impression! A lot of people meet me and then call me Sylvia forever. I'll make an exception for family names. I understand if people want to use a family name. But a name out of the blue like a woman I used to know named her baby girl, Kennedy, makes me just shake my head.

I think a name is a gift you give a child, and I think you owe it to them to pick something that's not a burden. I had a similar issue as Stuart and had to find names that you could say in Eng. and in Fr. I picked Biblical names (and I'm not religious) that never go out of fashion. David and Rachel.