WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING - RANT

do anyone know of a web site that explain the meaning of all names

I'm not sure which side of this discussion I fall on . . .

My daughters name is Kaitlyn. It just so happens that a high school acquaintance named Caitlin was in the hospital having her baby at the same time. We bumped into Caitlin's parents at the nursery window and they scolded me for not using the correct Gaelic spelling. I was too tired at the time to retort - but I'm not Gaelic! Kaitlyn over the years has preferred Katie and Kaitlyn.

My sons name is Jacob and goes by Jake or Jacob.

My sister's kids are Devaney, Shaylee and Logan.

Cheers

Jim

My youngest Son was born on Valantines day at 2:14 pm which makes it 14th day 14th hr and 14th minute and the nurses asked if i was calling him Valantino? No He was Named James Oliver watson after his great great grandfather. I good old english name. My oldest Thomas Lee after his uncle Tom ( mothers side) and I like Tommy Lee. Good names that will not get twisted too much by school kids. I grew up with Andy and other names that I was not too fond of.

Grew up with a family in our neighborhood with the family name of Pickup and they named their daughter Mia ( after Mia Farrow). Poor kid got teased no end with a name like that.

So, I guess "Cindy" is out of the question?? :D:D

Why no, it's not out of the question. Everyone called me Cindy except for my mother until the age of 25, but then I moved away.....now it's Cynthia. But you can call me that if you like....:)

Does anyone remember than comedian, Ray J. Johnson Jr. I saw him on Johnny Carson once and never forgot it. "You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Ronnie, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me......" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I never thought a name made the kid.

I actually like the name. sounds kind of "royal"

I named my daughter Marissa, and every day I think to myself how silly, maybe I should have named her Heather, or Brittany, like everyone else in America did back when she was born.(big sarcasm smiley)

Eh, I call her Mable now. Its unique, there are no more kids being given the name Mable, so I like it.
I think having King as a nickname is gonna be a real winner for the kid.
Yo, King, yeah, and especially with the girls. (You want to be my queen?)
This kid is going to love his name.
Hey, I go first, Im King.
Hey, give that to me Im King.
Dont speak to me like that, Im King.
Hes gonna laugh and fool around with his buddies for years.
I hope he names his daughter Princess.
Ya know to people in foreign countries, names like Allen or Joe or Frank are laughable.

Last edited:
I think a name is a gift you give a child, and I think you owe it to them to pick something that's not a burden. I had a similar issue as Stuart and had to find names that you could say in Eng. and in Fr. I picked Biblical names (and I'm not religious) that never go out of fashion. David and Rachel.

Cynthia... (See I can spell Cynthia...)
I've always heard that you don't name the child... you name the adult... the Indians in America always gave their children a child's name... when the child reach adult hood, they took an adult name..

When my son was born, I had planned to give him a name with my initials, but not my name.. my dad and I both have the initials C.R. ... I wanted Jason to have them also, but the only name that began with a "C" that I liked was Christopher... every kid on the block was named Christopher when he was born... I had already picked out the "R" name and needed something that would flow with that... we came up with Jason. Funny thing now is that I have two nephews with the same name... Ryan.

My step daughter from my first marriage was named Kathleen... most people try to shorten that to Kathy.... she will not answer to anything except Kathleen... in grammar school, all the kids added an "a" and pronounced it "Kathaleen"....

I have two cousins.. my grandmother's sister's kids... both went through life and Billy and Patsy.... those were their actual names.. Billy is a huge man...about 6 ft, but our senior year in highschool, he wore a size 17 neck shirt... most of the time his mother made his shirts because she couldn't find them large enough to fit over his chest... Billy is 11 months younger than me, but in highschool, he outweighed me by 100 lbs.. no fat either...

Last edited:
thanks for the link but it did not provide the answer that I am hunting for///when someone do not like their first name ---do they have to use the name ? ///WHAT IS THE LAW ?

It depends on where you live....country, state etc. There's usually no problem going by a middle name or initials, but for major gov't ID, it has to be something from your birth certificate or passport (in Canada). Most countries will let you change your name legally in court to anything you want.

My former surname was GRILLOT pronounced Gree-yo and no one ever got it right. Most often it as pronounced grillet like skillet. I always said that if I didn't remarry, I would change my name in court to something someone could spell or pronounce. Fortunately I now have the name WHITE. "The color white" I say. No problems anywhere.

It depends on where you live....country, state etc. , but for major gov't ID, it has to be something from your birth certificate or passport (in Canada). Most countries will let you change your name legally in court to anything you want.

My former surname was GRILLOT pronounced Gree-yo and no one ever got it right. Most often it as pronounced grillet like skillet. I always said that if I didn't remarry, I would change my name in court to something someone could spell or pronounce. Fortunately I now have the name WHITE. "The color white" I say. No problems anywhere.
There's usually no problem going by a middle name or initials

that is what I were thinking
I intended to change mine first name but the money were needed for something else,mine middle name is Ray---you will be surprise how many people that think that Ray is a short form of Raymond or Ramoa

it is amazing how the english-speaking people can pronounce a a name like Corinth more than one way,I am referring to the town Corinth Kentucky

My formal name is James. I was known as Jimmy growing up. At some point it became Jim.

The only people who still address me as Jimmy are my Mother, my immediate family (sisters and brothers), my cousins and people who knew me growing up.

Jim

My name is Brent. I've never had a nickname, but I've answered to anything that starts with a B and Ends with a T.

Always wanted to be called Bubba...

don't really see Kingston as a strange name myself.... but then I think it's nice to think a little bit out of the box. Normal is highly over rated