Mobile base on a TS?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Locally a person has THIS new HTC mobile base for a TS for sale. Don't quite know how I feel about having the TS on wheels.

How many of you have your TS on a mobile base? Pros? Cons?:dunno:

I have mine on wheels Rennie, but then I built a cabinet for my TS to sit in as I have a contractor saw. Took it off the legs and built a box under it to connect the DC up to. Wheels are great as It is heavy enough and locking wheels that pushing stock through will not move it. Unlock the wheels and move it around when I need more space for other projects. I am a big fan of mobility in my shop as it is an attached garage shop. Once the new shop is built I will be giving permanant homes to all the machines and will have a cabinet saw by then too.

My Ridgid TS came with the Herc-U-Lift mobility system. When not moving it, the wheels release and the saw sits on a pad on each of the 4 legs. Great mobility when needed and stability when using. I also built a mobile base for the new G0691 cabinet saw. The wheels bolt on if I need to move the saw, sits on 6 pads otherwise. Again, the best of both worlds. I would be leery of a mobile base that left wheels on the ground. Some say the double locking casters work fine. It just wasn't something I was comfortable with. Not sure how the HTC bases work. Jim.

I have my Shop Fox cabinet saw on a SF mobile base. With the large size of the table and fence I wouldn't have it any other way. If it's in the way, I can move it. Need more bench space in another location? I can move the saw. Need to pull the lawn mower in for service? Move the saw, and just about everything else to the back. Mobile bases give much variation in the way I can use my shop. I have them on the band saw, jointer, dust collector, ShopSmith (drill press, disk sander, lathe), B&D workmate (planer) and 2 roll around toolboxes. I'm trying to figure out how to get my 2 workbenches on wheels. All of the machines are on Delta bases or Harbor Freight Delta clones except the SF and the SS--it's on the SS wheels.

With the proper mobile setup you will not need to worry about the machine moving while you use it. It would be a concern if bases were done improperly. Hope this helps.

Rennie i got my table saw on a mobile base its a General Base and has two tangs that i just press down on and its mobile. When i want it stationary just pop my feet under the tangs and lift them and it drops gently onto two feet and is solid on the floor. The drawback is it has been fine while I have not had the extension full and with any weight. This base only caters for the cabinet. So you got a good one there.

However i plan to fix mine down after my canoe project. I want to build a extension table in the front so its going to end up as a stationary island.

But it has been handy to have it moveable.

I have the same setup that Ron Jones has, but mine hasn't moved in several years. In fact, the tires have probably gone flat from sitting there so long.

My TS3650 also has the herculift and I use it regularly. I'm planing to build a new base for my Ridgid ts so that I can incorporate storage and lower dust collection for my router setup.

i have my table saw and jointer on a mobile base. basically home made, but it serves it's purpose. only changes i'm going to make, are to add the blue wheels that i have under the bandsaw/drill press table, and make them all easier to move.

Attachments

• table saw, jointer, persuader.JPG
    table saw, jointer, persuader.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 23
Simple Wheels for TS moving.

A long time ago, I was reading one of the numerous woodworking magazines that I use to subscribe to and there was a tip on how to make heavy tools moveable.

It is simple. Go to a Hardware or Farm Store and get a pair of large non swiveling Heavy Duty wheels 8" diameter seem to do the trick well with a heavy cabinet saw. Put them on the side of the saw with the longest table extensions and fasten the brackets with bolts through the legs or box of the TS. My first saw was a contractors saw and had skinny legs. I just got a sheet of steel and drilled it to fasten on to two of the legs and then mounted the wheels to it.

Let the wheels sit on the floor and the brackets out to the side fastened into the TS.

You have now just turned your TS into a two wheel cart. Simply push down on the TS extension and the wheels come into play and it is easy to roll around with only a small amount of pressure on the wing.

Try it, you will wonder why you never thought ot it. I still wonder at the sheer simplicity of the idea today, some 30 years later.:D:D

Tom...

Another vote here for a mobile base on a tablesaw. I've also got the Ridgid with the Herc-U-Lift, but if and when I upgrade it, whatever replaces it will also be mobile, even if I end up in a bigger shop.

Mobile bases are great. My Dewalt hybrid came as part of the package when I bought it. I can't imagine not having the mobile base.

I can't speak for the HTC welded products. The adjustable/universal HTC unit died under the weight of my DJ20 8" jointer. The guy I bought the jointer from included it with it. The drilled angled steel it's made from is flimsy compared to the tube steel mobile bases.

Cheers,

I have the mobile base that is an option for the SawStop, it is rock solid, as the saw actually sits on the ground when the wheels lift up.

I think a well made mobile base is a great idea, even if you only use it occasionally.

Cheers!

mobile base on a tablesaw

I have a mobile bases under both of my tablesaws, jointer, bandsaw, drill press
cabinet, router table cabinet and other things as well. I like the mobility factor
on my machines and wouldn't have it any other way....never any problems so far
and I like it!:thumb::thumb: