Weekend Auctions

Well I made it to all 3 weekend auctions. Saturdays wasn't much, killed a little time. First one today was a bunch of junk, I have enough, so I left. Auction #3, high noon start time, I figured it might turn out alright. Didn't see much at first. Get to talking to the owners son. Tells me his dad, now deceased, used to build violins in his spare time. Really says I. Yea, all the wood over in the old outbuilding is going to be sold. So I go check it out, not a bad stash of wood. Maple of sort sorts. Don't want to look too hard, others are watching. Oh yea, bunch of Oak in the loft of the garage. Checked that out as well. Bought the whole contents on the garage loft..........$2. Bought the whole contents of the outbuilding.....$5.

Long Leaf/ Heart pine
IMG_0911.jpg

The Maple
IMG_0913.jpg

All this cut to 2'-3"
IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Nasty spots and ripples all thru that so called wood :eek: good thing you aren't a long way from me so I can save you from such terrible stuff, 7 bucks invested isn't such a lost for such bad wood:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

as Don said THIEF.....................................or is is right place tight time:):thumb:

I have to go back and clean out the garage loft yet. Bunch of stuff up there.

It was mostly people being to lazy to see what was there. All people want to buy is what they can hold and see real quick. If I wasn't there all the wood would have been sold for kindling for the woodstoves. Or tossed in a pile and lit up.

I hear stories all the time from relatives, friends, of the amazing buys they find sometimes.
I feel some people may just want an area cleaned out, and they dont really think some old boards have any value since its been sitting there for a long time.

Steve, I've got a couple of instruments I'm thinking of making...

1) Tenor Uke, 2) semi hollow body guitar. If you wanna get rid of any of the figured stuff, let me know...

that one board with the spots is birds eye steve!!! that one board is worth more than what you paid for the whole lot..and the quilted maple you planed down already is good stuff to.. but dont try planing it down to size with out misting and ,you would be better off to sand it.or your gonna continue to get tear out..you can run it with a real light cut on a angle and try that but,, highly figured wood tears out usually.

Good haul there Steve! I have gotten out of the auction bug for quite a few years. Used to go regularly to a couple of farm auctions, the girls were still in grade school, would get copies of my numbers and they would bid on items we picked out. Some of the auctions would have two or three auctioneers so we would split up. People used to get a kick out of watching the girls bid. They did good and we came home with a lot of stuff for some time.

Good haul Steve, I dont think you were stealing:D:rofl: i think you were dealing. Dealing with lazy competition:rofl::rofl:

Just think of what it would have cost them to haul it away. You did them a favor and they could get to write off the loss if it was set up correctly in the first place.;):D

My wife does the family's hair. Husband and wife. I ask him well before the auction, if I could come nose around and buy outright, what ever I could find. I was thinking more like old planes and stuff. He said he would rather do the auction thing as 3 kids are involved and it would be more fair. So fair it was. Do I feel bad, a little. Would I have gone more? Yep. I would have went at least $50 the maple.

Steve 50 buck is what I was thinking would be a good deal and it would keep me from thinking I was cheating someone. When we know truth it's hard to go against it.
If I am dealing I will suggest a fair price if they do not want to take it OK I move on with no regrets.

Well I tried. The family just wanted to auction it off and get all they could. They got what they got, the way the system works. The only reason I started at $5 was to show I was serious. I could have gotten it all for probably $1.

I will make a small keepsake box for the family members that we know. Just a little something to give back. And do I feel guilty? No, I played by the rules at hand.

absolutely not on the guilty feelings steve!!! they had a chance and chose to go auction its not the first time something went cheap and other things may have went high..its just the way they go in auctions.. so dont worry about any regrets it was all up front and legal. you got a bargin:D:thumb::thumb: