Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tool you wish you hadn't gotten rid of

tool you wish you hadn't gotten rid of

Let's turn the question around.
    What tool have you sold you wish you hadn't let go of?

I'll start:
    I inherited a large, heavy duty scroll saw from my father. I never thought scroll sawing would appeal to me so I sold it.
    I still don't think doing a lot of scroll sawing would appeal to me. I just don't have the patience for it. But, there are times I would like to do some decorative work or make other inside cuts. That big ole SS would be handy to have but it's gone.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I didn't answer in the previous thread but my answer for both is the same; my PC557. I thought I needed a biscuit joiner and so wanted a good one. The 557 is a wonderfully versatile machine that I used to set about a dozen biscuits the entire time I had it.

I sold it to a Canadian member from another forum who was thrilled to get it and uses it daily. About 4 times a year I wish I had it back. I made a router jig to take its place for those very rare times when I want a biscuit.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Haven't really gotten rid of any tools yet

(Sharon keeps threatening to have that 'Hoarders' show do an episode on my garage...)
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Hmmmm Does a Fender 12 string acoustic qualify as a tool?

Or a 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible with the high performance 289 and rally pack?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Hmmmm Does a Fender 12 string acoustic qualify as a tool?

Or a 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible with the high performance 289 and rally pack?
    Yes, they do. About like my ole burro, Jack.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Haven't really gotten rid of any tools yet

(Sharon keeps threatening to have that 'Hoarders' show do an episode on my garage...)
    Thank goodness...I thought I was the only one with that hanging over my head!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I sold my Hitachi 15" miter saw a few years back. Wish I still had it.
    Sold my shopsmith a few weeks ago. Really miss the band saw.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

My 10" Hitachi miter saw (the one they made 25 years ago) and my model 66 powermatic
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I've gotten rid of several tools over the years, all before my current woodworking affliction.

My granddad's bench grinder. Old, heavy, heavy beast that would spin for an eternity after it was turned off. Gave it to a friend when I moved to CA nearly 20 years ago because I didn't have room (or need) for it at the time. I was visiting that friend last a couple months ago, and he's still got the grinder, and he's still using it. It's still got the old wheels on it, and they're still just as glazed over as they were when my granddad used it.

My granddad's big Record bench vise. I did move it to CA when I came out here, but ended up giving it to a friend in exchange for some help fixing a roof. At the time, I didn't have a shop, and the friend was setting up a metalworking shop. We both got a good deal out of it, but I do wish I still had that vise. (Even though I've got one nearly as big now.)

My 1967 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty, Fretless Wonder, etc). It was a tool for me, as I was making my living with it when it was stolen. It was a high school graduation present from my parents...$500 was a lot of money for a used guitar in 1976 (at least in our family it was), but they believed me when I told them it was a good deal. That same model and vintage sells for thousands of dollars now. I also lost a relatively new Gibson ES-335 that same night.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My grizzly 13" planer/molder and dust collector...of course I sold them to my BIL, so I can still use them. It was for a good cause, proceeds went to buy my MIG welder.

I've been pretty selective in the tools I've bought, so most have stayed in my collection.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault