Newest addition to tool family

It is now official, I need a bigger shop. I originally went to get the 10-20 like Dan has. Jet is having a 15% off sale starting Friday. Guy told me if I bought it he would give me the 15% today. So for 200 more than I was going to spend, I drug this home.

IMG_0919.jpg

Steve, I will sacrifice space in my shop to hold it for your and use it periodically so you can be assured it is in good operating condition. Naturally you have full visitation privileges. Since we are all in the Family, I wouldn't consider charging storage. This way you can save your $ to buy more tools/machines that I can store for you. You don't really need to waste money adding on to the shop. :thumb::thumb: Best offer you've had today I'll bet!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Nice gloat--I'm sure you will enjoy using it!

Congrats Steve!

I've got the little brother to that one and it works great.

I'd like to upgrade one of these days.

Do yourself a favor and buy some rolls of sandpaper in bulk. Seems to me the pre-mades are pretty expensive.

Take one of the premades, and make up a template, and write instructions right on it how to use it... Then use a couple of spring clamps, mark the sandpaper, and cut it...

drumsander_01.jpg

drumsander_02.jpg

Brent that is one thing I was wondering about. Where do you get your bulk from?

Don, I really didn't want this one, but I couldn't pass up the additional foot of sanding for $200. One of these days I will be complaining about needing the 22-44:D

Ron, nice gesture. I will give it some thought.

I think I made a big order from Klingspor. But it's a been a while since I placed the order. I ordered a whole variety from 40 grit on up to 220. Just wanted to have the versatility. You can see I have the rolls stored on a bar right in front of the sander..

Had the 22-44. Now have the 16-32. Would not hold out for the larger one. Not enough motor. If you have a really wide piece going through there, your passes are many at a very small increment. DAMHIKT!

Got sandpaper from Klingspor. I buy the precut. I have screwed up the bulk often enough, that the precut was cheaper!. If you want bulk, get the pre-marked.

Also, I only use 120 grit. All I want to do is remove mill marks. I do that before cutting to size. If I need to take more off, I get out the planer. Sanding finer at this point is a waste of time. IMNOSHO!

My 2 cents, and I am sticking with it.

That makes sense Carol.

I do like the coarser grits for leveling off end grain cutting boards I make that are too wide for my planer. Does take quite a bit of time though...

I have used the finer grits on my cutting boards as well to get a nice smooth finish...

I've got one 40" wide right now.

It's rock maple 40" by 70" long and 1.25+ inches thick right now...

It's one heavy sunufagun and I'm not sure how I would even manipulate it through any kind of sander/planer without one, or maybe two, other guys to help manhandle it...

I think it'd take a heck of a setup to run it through even the 22/44.. And I can't even beging to think of all the passes it would take...

Congrats, Steve. :thumb: I'd like to add something like that (or bigger) to the arsenal some day. Still, I don't think I'd use a drum sander very much. I don't make a lot of drums. :p

good for you steve, and i agree that the 22-44 isnt powered well enough, not form personal use but form those i know that had used them. on the 16-32 you can do as theysay and switch around and get the 32 inch width but its got real good chance of makeing a high center. so beware of that on the wide panels.