experiment

I can't see anything wrong with the finial... it matches the pedastal pretty closely.

I've only tried one of hollow forms on a pedastal... was kinda fun and need to try another.. I also tried to ebonize some wood, but got more of a mottly brown than a black... don't know what I did wrong... need more trial and error I guess.

That's a good looking piece as it sit though...

X-C-Lent!!! :thumb:

Great coloring, as well as the shape and design, I wonder about the stability of the piece, does it want to turn over, fall over , if you bump the table does it topple? The gravity defying design is great but does it actually defy gravity? :huh:

Thanks for the posting and pictures and thought provoking design. And the Ebony color is excellant. :thumb:

sure looks black to me,, and that maple sure got lost some how ,,michigan is a ways out from the beaten path:):thumb:
must say it it black. Ya that maple liked to run away down here.:rofl: Thanks again for some lovely wood.:D

Very pretty, Steve. :thumb: That's some sweet maple, and your ebonized cherry looks good too.
Thanks this was half of the smallest piece that i got for baby sitting some chocolate.:thumb:

Wow that worked out well, so black it gets lost in the background :thumb:
Dave said cherry worked the best with this technique. It is white vinigar with steel wool.

I can't see anything wrong with the finial... it matches the pedastal pretty closely.

I've only tried one of hollow forms on a pedastal... was kinda fun and need to try another.. I also tried to ebonize some wood, but got more of a mottly brown than a black... don't know what I did wrong... need more trial and error I guess.

That's a good looking piece as it sit though...
Thanks Chuck, Don and Dave had a post about ebonizing different woods and Dave said that cherry worked the best,at least for him. So i thought i'd give it a try.

Lovely, Stephen. Very lovely. Glad to see the tool sharpening demo worked! :thumb: :D
Carol thank you for the demo.:thumb::thumb:

Dunno...Looks good to me, great job! :) :thumb:
Thanks Darren

Looks good to me too. It seems that the experiment was successful too. What procedure did you use to ebonise Cherry?
Mohammad thanks, as far as the procedure just 1 bottle of white vinager and tear up one piece of steel wool, and put in the vinager. let sit till it all dissolves, about 48 hrs for me. Take and put your piece in a tub and let sit. these i let sit about 3 hrs.

X-C-Lent!!! :thumb:

Great coloring, as well as the shape and design, I wonder about the stability of the piece, does it want to turn over, fall over , if you bump the table does it topple? The gravity defying design is great but does it actually defy gravity? :huh:

Thanks for the posting and pictures and thought provoking design. And the Ebony color is excellant. :thumb:
Bill i've made more of these type turnings than anything else, and never had a problem with any of them even trying to fall over.

I can't do any of that stuff :(, so it looks really cool!:D:D
thanks Jim.

Very nice............just dont knock it over.........I did and it broke......but very nice work
Dan i've had my granddaughter knock over a few of these and to this point in time she hasn't broken any of them.(knock on wood)

I would say that is one succesful experiment. :D Looks real great bye bye real ebony.;):thumb:

Nice match to the maple, you do great work. :thumb:
Thanks Rob.The only thing i don't like about the whole process is that cherry don't take the detail that ebony does. You have to be really carfull when you start getting small like that.