Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: maddening computer problem

maddening computer problem

There seems to be a lot of talent here that is not related to woodworking. I'll throw out a current computer related problem I am having to see if someone can provide an answer.
    This involves a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart 7450 ink-jet printer.
    When I am printing a large document (e.g. 400 pages) from MS Word in .doc format, start with last page to first page, it will print just fine EXCEPT it will not print approximately the first (last printed) ten pages. But IT DOES print the page numbers.
    If I try to print just those pages, same thing happens.
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times.
    I have spent days on the phone with Microsoft/Dell/HP people in India tech support to no avail. I have had help (not) from the local college professor who teaches MS Word.
    Using a lower priced HP printer, all comes out well. No problem except the cheaper printer is much slower.
    I'm convinced that the problem lays with the memory in the printer. But it is more complicated than that, I'm sure.
    Other than buy a new printer, wassup guys?

Frank, I'm no expert here, but what happens when you print say 100 pages, or 200 pages? Still the same 10 pages not printing? If so and you think it's printer memory, you might check to see if you can add memory to your model printer. If not, it could be a heat related problem in the printer. Print 200 pages, let it cool down while you go do some woodworking, then print some more. Seems like my first Epson back in the 90's would do something similar on big prints jobs, and doing smaller lots spaced out allowed it to print properly. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Frank, I'm no expert here, but what happens when you print say 100 pages, or 200 pages? Still the same 10 pages not printing? If so and you think it's printer memory, you might check to see if you can add memory to your model printer. If not, it could be a heat related problem in the printer. Print 200 pages, let it cool down while you go do some woodworking, then print some more. Seems like my first Epson back in the 90's would do something similar on big prints jobs, and doing smaller lots spaced out allowed it to print properly. Jim.
    Same thing with about 100 pages. If it is just a two or three page document, no problem. Even just trying to print those first ten pages from a 300 page document, it won't do it. And, as mentioned, it WILL print the page numbers but not the text.

Frank, I'm no computer expert (far from it), but you might try un-installing your printer and the drivers, reinstalling both, and trying again. It sounds like there is a spooling problem and somehow your printer memory is losing those pages. Either that, or I'd take a good look at your document - there might be some sort of coding in the document that is keeping it from being printed.

Just my .02.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Frank, I'm no computer expert (far from it), but you might try un-installing your printer and the drivers, reinstalling both, and trying again. It sounds like there is a spooling problem and somehow your printer memory is losing those pages. Either that, or I'd take a good look at your document - there might be some sort of coding in the document that is keeping it from being printed.

Just my .02.

Nancy
    Nancy, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and drivers multiple times. Yes, my guess is that it is a coding problem in the document. But, still, a mystery is why all is OK on one printer but not another. If the pages were completely blank that might give a clue. But the pagination prints. A real

Frank,
    Iím far less expert in this than others who have posted, but if the problem is not memory sizeÖ
    If you copy those ten pages and paste them into a new .doc, do they print?

If not, you could try pasting them into notepad, copying them and then pasting into a new .doc.

If they still donít print you could take then to a printing service.

Good Luck!

I would ask what is being printed? Is it purely a text document? Do the first ten pages contain any similiar objects? Maybe a water mark or any tpe of graphic. Sounds to me like there is something on those 10 pages that is somehow not rasterizing properly in the computer memory.

What happens when you try to print the first 10 ~ 20 pages (or the whole "book") NOT in reverse order.... first page to last?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee View Post
    Frank,
    Iím far less expert in this than others who have posted, but if the problem is not memory sizeÖ
    If you copy those ten pages and paste them into a new .doc, do they print?

If not, you could try pasting them into notepad, copying them and then pasting into a new .doc.

If they still donít print you could take then to a printing service.

Good Luck!
    Frank
    1] Sometimes. Go figger.
    2] If I do only those pages it will print OK, but it's a hassle.
    3] At this point, I would be money and time ahead. But I have spent nearly $60.00 on print cartridges for printers I want to throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Eaton View Post
    I would ask what is being printed? Is it purely a text document? Do the first ten pages contain any similiar objects? Maybe a water mark or any tpe of graphic. Sounds to me like there is something on those 10 pages that is somehow not rasterizing properly in the computer memory.
    Pure text.
    Is "rasterizing" a dirty word?