maddening computer problem

Frank Fusco

There seems to be a lot of talent here that is not related to woodworking. I'll throw out a current computer related problem I am having to see if someone can provide an answer.
This involves a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart 7450 ink-jet printer.
When I am printing a large document (e.g. 400 pages) from MS Word in .doc format, start with last page to first page, it will print just fine EXCEPT it will not print approximately the first (last printed) ten pages. But IT DOES print the page numbers.
If I try to print just those pages, same thing happens.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times.
I have spent days on the phone with Microsoft/Dell/HP people in India tech support to no avail. I have had help (not) from the local college professor who teaches MS Word.
Using a lower priced HP printer, all comes out well. No problem except the cheaper printer is much slower.
I'm convinced that the problem lays with the memory in the printer. But it is more complicated than that, I'm sure.
Other than buy a new printer, wassup guys?

Frank, I'm no expert here, but what happens when you print say 100 pages, or 200 pages? Still the same 10 pages not printing? If so and you think it's printer memory, you might check to see if you can add memory to your model printer. If not, it could be a heat related problem in the printer. Print 200 pages, let it cool down while you go do some woodworking, then print some more. Seems like my first Epson back in the 90's would do something similar on big prints jobs, and doing smaller lots spaced out allowed it to print properly. Jim.

Frank, I'm no expert here, but what happens when you print say 100 pages, or 200 pages? Still the same 10 pages not printing? If so and you think it's printer memory, you might check to see if you can add memory to your model printer. If not, it could be a heat related problem in the printer. Print 200 pages, let it cool down while you go do some woodworking, then print some more. Seems like my first Epson back in the 90's would do something similar on big prints jobs, and doing smaller lots spaced out allowed it to print properly. Jim.

Same thing with about 100 pages. If it is just a two or three page document, no problem. Even just trying to print those first ten pages from a 300 page document, it won't do it. And, as mentioned, it WILL print the page numbers but not the text. :bang:

Frank, I'm no computer expert (far from it), but you might try un-installing your printer and the drivers, reinstalling both, and trying again. It sounds like there is a spooling problem and somehow your printer memory is losing those pages. Either that, or I'd take a good look at your document - there might be some sort of coding in the document that is keeping it from being printed.

Just my .02.

Nancy

Frank, I'm no computer expert (far from it), but you might try un-installing your printer and the drivers, reinstalling both, and trying again. It sounds like there is a spooling problem and somehow your printer memory is losing those pages. Either that, or I'd take a good look at your document - there might be some sort of coding in the document that is keeping it from being printed.

Just my .02.

Nancy

Nancy, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and drivers multiple times. Yes, my guess is that it is a coding problem in the document. But, still, a mystery is why all is OK on one printer but not another. If the pages were completely blank that might give a clue. But the pagination prints. A real :doh:

Frank,
I’m far less expert in this than others who have posted, but if the problem is not memory size…
If you copy those ten pages and paste them into a new .doc, do they print?

If not, you could try pasting them into notepad, copying them and then pasting into a new .doc.

If they still don’t print you could take then to a printing service.:( :eek: :doh:

Good Luck!

I would ask what is being printed? Is it purely a text document? Do the first ten pages contain any similiar objects? Maybe a water mark or any tpe of graphic. Sounds to me like there is something on those 10 pages that is somehow not rasterizing properly in the computer memory.

Frank,
I’m far less expert in this than others who have posted, but if the problem is not memory size…
If you copy those ten pages and paste them into a new .doc, do they print?

If not, you could try pasting them into notepad, copying them and then pasting into a new .doc.

If they still don’t print you could take then to a printing service.:( :eek: :doh:

Good Luck!

Frank
1] Sometimes. Go figger. :huh:
2] If I do only those pages it will print OK, but it's a hassle. :mad:
3] At this point, I would be money and time ahead. But I have spent nearly $60.00 on print cartridges for printers I want to throw away. :(

I would ask what is being printed? Is it purely a text document? Do the first ten pages contain any similiar objects? Maybe a water mark or any tpe of graphic. Sounds to me like there is something on those 10 pages that is somehow not rasterizing properly in the computer memory.

Pure text.
Is "rasterizing" a dirty word? :eek:

Have you downloaded and updated your printer drivers to the latest/greatest and most current?

Have you run Windows update and MS Office update and got the latest and greatest?

Have you tried doing the printing in wordpad (should be able to hold the entire document) and see if you have the same issue?

Do you get any errors when printing like certain sections are outside of the printable area?

Did you actually write anything on those ten pages, or were you absorbed in a mystical experience that could not be described? Or perhaps if it was described you need to be in a particular frame of mind to see it.:bonkers:

What about printing pages 400 to 11, then printing pages 10 to 1 in a separate print job? Doc would still be collated.

I'd blame it on literary fiction. :rofl:

Sorry Frank, I don't have any suggestions that haven't been offered. I work with Word every day, it's a good thing they don't allow guns at my office, or my computer there would look like swiss cheese.

Sorry Frank, I don't have any suggestions that haven't been offered. I work with Word every day, it's a good thing they don't allow guns at my office, or my computer there would look like swiss cheese.

hammers vaughn:D ............more stress releaving than simply pullin` the trigger....

Have you downloaded and updated your printer drivers to the latest/greatest and most current?

Have you run Windows update and MS Office update and got the latest and greatest?

Have you tried doing the printing in wordpad (should be able to hold the entire document) and see if you have the same issue?

Do you get any errors when printing like certain sections are outside of the printable area?

yes, yes, yes and it doesn't, no.

Did you actually write anything on those ten pages, or were you absorbed in a mystical experience that could not be described? Or perhaps if it was described you need to be in a particular frame of mind to see it.:bonkers:

What about printing pages 400 to 11, then printing pages 10 to 1 in a separate print job? Doc would still be collated.

I bought more ink for the low priced printer and am now printing the last ten pages on that.

Vaughn, the latest version of MS Word, is IMHO, way too complex. It has hundreds, if not thousands, of options layered under options on top of options. There is no doubt that .doc documents are coded with something that NSA couldn't break. At one point, the text started showing, in two colors (black and red) all changes and suggested changes ever made in the text. I clicked around for days trying to undo all that so I could get a clean text to work with. I believe some gremlins were left in there and they are still haunting me. But, still, why just on one printer is another spooky mystery.

I have a very silly suggestion. In the past I have found that the most easy and embarrassing fixes usually did it for me but only after hours or days of pulling my hair out. Usually a "fix" for an un-fixable problem on a "PC", for me, was one I would never admit to after spending so long trying to do it.

Pull the plug. (On the printer) :huh:

Yep, pull the plug and empty the buffer. Take the memory's power source away. Then plug it back in and try again. Just could be the printer will see the document in a new light. Silly as it sounds, this has worked more than once for me in my past PC experience.
I switched to Mac about six years ago and have not had one single problem in all that time. I'll never look back. :D

Don