Elm Vase

Jeff Bower

I turned the outside and then cheated and used a forstner bit to "turn" the interior. It's about 7" tall and 4" at the base. The grain looks better than it does in the photo. I really need to make a photo booth. :doh:

Critique away please!

Attachments

• 100_1306.JPG
    100_1306.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1312.JPG
    100_1312.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 34
No shame in using the Forstner. You wanted the wood removed from the middle...Forstner removes wood...sounds like a workable plan. :thumb:

The wood's pretty and well-tooled and finished, but the form and details don't really do a lot for me. I think a bit more taper to the form (wider at the bottom with a gradual taper to the top) would help, and allow you to show more of an overall curve, instead of just the flare at the bottom. Also, in my opinion the bead details would look better with crisper definition. One of the things I've been trying to work on more myself is getting details cut cleanly so that I don't end up sanding the crispness away.

Thanks all! The form is just something I tried for once...not sure I like it either. The grain would have stood out more with just a simple gentle curve for sure.