Jig-Saw vs Saber-Saw & Jig-Saw vs Scroll-Saw

Bart Leetch

When I was growing up we always call what is known today as a Jig-Saw a Saber-Saw. Back then we called what is known as a Scroll-Saw a Jig-saw.

Now I wouldn't want to cut out jig saw puzzles with a Saber-Saw but a Jig-Saw would do just fine. Personally I think the old names I learned to call these tools by fit the tools better.

Besides that a scroll is something that comes from a few thousand years ago it what they used for books to be written on before they had books.

As a youngster I too was introduced to today's "jig-saw" as a "saber-saw". I don't remember what the scroll-saw was called . . . am I getting that old?

did you have electric when you were growing up ?
the only saws that I saw during mine childhood except at the saw mills were hand- power

" Jig-saw puzzles got their name because they were cut with a jig-saw---
some one forgot to rename the puzzles

OK, I'm not that old. I do remember the miracle of color TV at the rich guy's house up the street though :D.

Youngster! I do remember the miracle of black and white TV at the house up the street. And when we finally got one that received two channels on a big console with a 15 inch screen.

When I was in college I worked summers in a TV broadcast studio. Only occasional network shows were in color, and only one of our film projectors could "broadcast" color (in lousy quality), and one of the few color TV sets in the station was in "master control" to monitor what was on the air.

I'm with you, the Jig Saw is embedded in my mind as a bench mounted saw some refer to as a Scroll saw, Be it Electric or pedal powered, Water wheel or wind. :thumb:

The Saber Saw is a hand held device that jabs the blade in and out in a recipitating motion not to be confused with a Recipitating saw (commonly referred to as a Saws-All) which looks more like a Saber (the Sword thingy) than the Saber saw does.

Now I see where Dremmel has introduced the save all saw.... The Rotary Saw... which is displayed along side their vibration saw (which is advertized to be tool to rule all tools)

Whilst there are fellows just learning to master the Bow Saw and now they have replaced the Coping Saw with a coping router. The Hand Saw may be upstaged by an assortment of powered saws, but there is carpenter, None, who does not have one in his kit.

Personally, I prefer the Old School Nomenclature but I too have come over to the light of the new woodworker and surcome to Scroll Saw as its name. How else could they name a Band Saw? Continuous Motion Saw? Would a Chain Saw be referred to as a Sprocket Drive Saw? My Circular saw is Worm Drive, my Skil saw is not.

The first recip saw I ever saw was my father's but it was called a scintilla saw. It was all metal and got too hot to hold after just a few minutes use. Then came saber saw and now they are called jig saws.

The first recip saw I ever saw was my father's but it was called a scintilla saw. It was all metal and got too hot to hold after just a few minutes use. Then came saber saw and now they are called jig saws.

Do the jig saw or the people that change the saw name know the dance step " cut a jig ?

Am I having a dejà vu or this debate about jig, scroll,saber saws has already been held in this forum?

Nothing against reviewing it but for a moment I thought that there was some disturbance within Matrix:rofl::rofl::rofl: