Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Trains

Toy Trains

Here's a batch of trains I just got through with pics and plans as promised. I built some a few months ago and had requests for more.

Parts List
    4.75" x 2in dowel
    4x 2" treaded wheels
    4x 1.5" treaded wheels
    8x appropriate axle pegs and washers
    5/8" tenon smokestack
    1/4" x 3.5" x 10" maple or poplar for the cabin
    4.5" x 3.5" x 1/2" walnut for the top
    1-1/4" x 2-3/4" x 10.5" walnut for the bottom
    1" x 1/4" dowel for the back

The drawing is in autocad which I can't upload so I put the file in a .doc file. I think you should be able to view it ok there. I can email it if anyone wants the autocad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1070_1.jpg   IMG_1071_1.jpg   IMG_1072_1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeb Taylor; 06-30-2010 at 11:54 PM.

nice project, do you make all those parts yourself? like the wheels with treads?

Not yet I don't have a spinny thing.

The wheels you get can get hobby lobby in bags of 8 for $2-3. I ordered some bags of 100 from www.craftsparts.com. Just google "wooden toy parts" and you'll find a bunch of vendors. They have good prices on dowels too.

The bags of wheels paid off, my nephew loves to go make stuff when he's over (he's 3) So we can whip out a car or truck in no time with pre-made wheels and axles. He draws, I cut, then he hammers dowels/glues/screws them togther.

I think i paid about $2.50 for the wheels, axles, and smokestack per train.

Those are awesome, Jeb. Thanks for posting the pics and plans. The idea of having a bag o' wheels in stock for visiting kids is also a good one. (I'd do the same if I had any kids in the family that were close enough for a visit.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great project. Looks like lots of fun. Kids in the shop are fantastic. My granddaughter is 4 and she has been creating mementos with me in my shop for almost a year now.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    Not yet I don't have a spinny thing.

The wheels you get can get hobby lobby in bags of 8 for $2-3. I ordered some bags of 100 from www.craftsparts.com. Just google "wooden toy parts" and you'll find a bunch of vendors. They have good prices on dowels too.

The bags of wheels paid off, my nephew loves to go make stuff when he's over (he's 3) So we can whip out a car or truck in no time with pre-made wheels and axles. He draws, I cut, then he hammers dowels/glues/screws them togther.

I think i paid about $2.50 for the wheels, axles, and smokestack per train.
    Ive seen the parts on various sites. I asked because I tried like hec to make wheels after seeing toy trucks made only out of 2x4s, wheels included, and after cutting and glueing up pieces, I found the wheels were so difficult to make so I looked up online, and saw all the companies that sold toy wooden wheels.
    The trucks I saw were all made on a scroll saw, including the wheels, but they werent close in quality or design to the train engines you make.(but I watched a guy cut 2 trucks out of a 2x4 in 15 minutes, and assembly was quick)
    I ended up using an old wooden closet pole, 1.5 inch diameter, and sliced off wheels on the crosscut saw.
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-01-2010 at 03:00 AM.

I read somewhere that you can use a hole saw to cut a blank and then put it in a lathe/drill press and sand it to get a nice looking slab wheel out of hardwoods. I didn't try it though. At the price, as long as I could find a pre-made wheel that looked good enough it's hard to justify making these things.

Great looking trains Jeb! Thanks for posting the drawings too. I'll PM you my email, I can post the autocads drawings for you.

I would agree with you on making the wheels. I spent one winter cutting out maple wheels for several train sets that my Dad made as gifts one year, a lot of work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Not trying to burst a bubble here, or anything like that, but has anyone else read the recen Q&A in Wood magazine about CPSC's required testing (for lead and other contaminants) of any toy with a finish on it?

Kinda scary for us home-buit toy makers.

Also, it says that after Feb. 2011 (I think that's right), even the woods and the glues will have to be tested (or certified) for zero toxicity.

Big brother is truly watching over you and me!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've heard that would apply to small manufacturers. That it might even apply to items sold at craft fairs.

I think it would also affect places like thrift stores and what kind of 2nd hand items they could accept/sell.

Not sure if it would affect gifts from a relative though...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash