Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock Holmes And...

Sherlock Holmes And...

Sherlock Holmes And The Case Of The Missing Leg

It seems that there once was a good ole normal (well almost normal) bench with four legs and several criss-crossing beams and things.
    Well, along came a Rockler 12 inch vise (much larger than the old HF).

Attachment 46719
    Attachment 46720

The 12 incher required some of the space where a beam did reside. So, much to the dismay of the beam, I sawed out a section. This wasn’t enough for the poor thing so my son, Glenn Bradley, sawed out some more.

Attachment 46721

This sorta left the support to the left of the vise, well, missing.

Attachment 46722

Well, Glenn and I finished (ha ha) the job except for new skin for the top and finishing. So Glenn finally got to go home. He was a few hours late and tired as heck, but who cares?
    I happily used the bench and the vise. Then Glenn called from work and said something like, “You know that additional leg you were going to have us put on the bench, we didn’t, did you?”
    Not only did I not put it on---I hadn’t even thought of it, let alone cut the wood to make it. I hadn’t even noticed that the leg was missing. As one of our great FWW members keeps saying, “If in doubt, build it stout.” That, "heck for strong" workbench was stable as a rock.

However, since then I did cut out and temporarily installed (thats woodworker for “shoved it") the leg. Now that is really bad. I imagine all of you know the defination of temporary. That’s something you do that is only going to be that way for the next 20 years (just ask any 20 year old temporary school classroom about that.)

So what will happen next is that my wonderful son will come to visit and ask something like, “Why in the heck don’t you have that leg installed?” This usually has the effect of shaming me so I do it. Then, when he comes next time I don’t get another lecture. All this time I thought it was the parent who was supposed to shame and lecture the child into doing the correct thing.

Here is a close-up of the vise. Isn’t it purdy? Don't cha admire that moustache?

Attachment 46723

Here is a pic of the front of the bench complete with uncompleted leg temporarily installed.
    Attachment 46724

And a close-up of the installed vise.
    No, I do not have a pet though this photo might lead you to believe that. However, I have a neighbor---well a half a mile away neighbor--- who has 8 (eight) cats. Thank God I live a half a mile away. She uses a lot of Scoop Away. When I’m lucky I can get an empty container from her trash pick-up on Wednesday mornings. They are always nice and squeaky clean. I use them for shop waste buckets and use them to store a few things like small cut-offs.

Oh yes, Sherlock did not find the missing leg: I had to make one.

Final, for now, pic.

Attachment 46725

Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-20-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Nice vise, and great story, Jim.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn,

How in the heck do you respond to a new thread in 30 seconds???

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Vaughn,

How in the heck do you respond to a new thread in 30 seconds???

Enjoy,

Jim
    I have no life.

Nah, just lucky timing, and I'm watching the New Posts.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congratulations on the new vice Jim. I now have stomach pains from laughing with the banter you put in your story. You should write a book. Just love your humor. Not sure my stomach could survive any amount of time in yours and Glenns company from what you have written as well as reports from the Tour boys I can only imagine its laugh a minute.

As to the bench me thinks you now have the making of a face on the edge of your bench suitable for mounting a full leg vise at the end and rails and a deadman slider as well. Its only an additional small upgrade and its all wood well except for the vice screw.

I am sure Glenn would be more than happy to help you with it.
    cheers

Very nice and a great post.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Jim this is one of the best posts I've ever seen, clear, concise, right to the point, with explanatory pics and sense of humour. I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Thanks a lot for posting it
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Ditto to what Toni said
    Faith, Hope & Charity

another great post jim!!! and i can see that you set an good example for the organization skills in your own shop.. and by the way how many router bits does it take to do one of those dog hole tops
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I am sure Glenn would be more than happy to help you with it.
    Rob, please; he needs no help booking my time as it is

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    by the way how many router bits does it take to do one of those dog hole tops
    We used the same Onsrud bit I used for all my dog holes through 3" of MDF. Still cutting great even though it is only HSS.

BTW, great thread dad.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke