Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an inventory list of your shop contents?

GTA Ontario Canada

Do you have an inventory list of your shop contents?

In another thread Darren wrote

"I usually video tape, contents of the garage and open all the drawers. It only takes a few minutes to do and with the digital age, you can store them on remote server or location without much effort for safe keeping."

I thought this could do with a little highlighting for greater awareness. Its like safety the kinda things we forget until its too late.

I plan on doing mine this morning, its something i have been putting off but every now and then i wake up in the night to noises and think, is someone in my shop. Since we have a holiday here i have the time.

Thanks Darren.

Santa Claus, In
    I have a spread sheet of all my bigger tools. Date bought and serial number. Pictures of all the stuff and set up.

Router bit and saw blades, I just don't worry about.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    No but I got a 12 gage does that count...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    No. Videos and pics are planned, and have been for years.
    Same with our collections, especially my wife's bells.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    With my homeowners policy (and the fact that this is a hobby) I am covered so far. I also use digital pics including shots of serial number plates on larger machines. These are on a memory chip that is in the file with all the receipts and warranty info in the fire-safe in the home office. I update it at tax time; what I mean is that I use my tax prep as a reminder to update my shop inventory info.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

new york city burbs
    not only your tools, you all should video any valuables you have in your home for insurance company proof. it only takes a few minutes, and the worst that could happen is that the insurance company wont believe you.

Central NY State
    Spread sheet and digital photos. I figure it's also helpful to my family in case I check out unexpectedly.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I don't but probably good idea to do so... I only have a few tools of any value... but would hate to have to replace any of them.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean

I think Glenn made his preceeding two posts to try and get his old man in line. He is always showing me how much more efficient it is to put a tool away when you are thru with it (so you can find it again) and jazz like that.

Now he's messing with my photo inventory system---which I regularly (every few years or so) keep up to date. He just can't seem to get it into his head that I have to work a couple days a month and don't have time for foolishness.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    No but I got a 12 gage does that count...
    Will it kill a fire Don?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart