Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Opera Company

Portland, Oregon

Philadelphia Opera Company

I'm not a big Opera fan, but I thought this was pretty neat!

On Saturday, April 24th, 2010, over thirty members of the Opera Company of Philadelphia Chorus and principal cast members from the upcoming production of LaTraviata converged on the Reading Terminal Market Italian Festival. Wearing street clothes and blending in with the crowd, the artists swung into action as the first orchestral strains of the famed " Brindisi " were piped through the market, giving a rousing, surprise performance for hundreds of delighted onlookers who were there to enjoy the Italian delicacies and the everyday treats that the Reading Terminal Market has to offer. The four-minute piece drew an overwhelming crowd, and won a thunderous ovation that included both laughter and tears from the audience.

Jesus was a Woodworker

that was fun !!!!-- it lead me to several others -- always many minutes are gone when I start looking at YouTube...

Thanks for the post
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

ABQ NM
    If that doesn't bring a smile, nothing will.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Santa Claus, In
    While not a big fan of the style. That would have created a great memory to have been there.

Outside the beltway
    That was good. I have a neighbor directly across the street who teaches Music and is a well know opera singer in Europe, I get to hear Opera whither I want to or not some evenings. But she is very good.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

Amherst, New Hampshire
    That was great
    Faith, Hope & Charity

GTA Ontario Canada
    Dan thanks a ton for posting that. I aint a huge fan of Opera either guess it was because my mother and brother shoved it down my ears as a youngster. However have come to appreciate some of it and this is one of my favorite pieces.

What i like most though is the concept of performing it in an environment of this kind and having the cast dressed and mingling like ordinary folks. That makes it way more enjoyable, entertaining, more of an emotional experience. Sort of made me think of how Shakespeares plays were originally performed rather than having to spend a small fortune on tickets to join stuffy nosed people all dressed in a tux. A little like the skits you see in the television series Fraser.

Performed in this manner I think i could get to like the Opera.

Delton, Michigan
    thanks dan worht the time to listen to it..the people were great that devised this..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Those are great. I seen one not to long ago where the guy in the meat counter started it. Would love to be there sometime when they do it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Whittier, CA, USA
    I really agree with what Rob said. These people have talent that seems even more beautiful when shared in such an unexpected place.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem