Thread: Citric Acid Bath - HELP

Citric Acid Bath - HELP

I bought some citric acid powder, and am wondering what concentration to use for de-rusting iron. To process tomatoes, it's 1/2 tspn / quart. Can those who've used it describe the mix? TIA.

why would you use citric acid to process tomatoes???? we just boil them and then can them..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I was just reading from the label of the product. We don't use it either. It says on the package that it reduces spoilage. We never had any spoil though. Dunno.

Anyway, best info I've found is a 10% solution. So a 1:9 ratio ought to work.

Check out this publication... http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/Citri...ochure%204.doc

Your 10% seems correct but they also reccommend adding Alcohol and detergent to the mix.

good info bill, thanks
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Check out this publication... http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/Citri...ochure%204.doc

Your 10% seems correct but they also reccommend adding Alcohol and detergent to the mix.

I ain't gonna waste any of my booze on that mix...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Ken whats so special that you want to make your own mix? Have you tried Evapo Rust. Its also safe and environmentally friendly and really works. Its not cheap though but does a good job. Be interested to hear about your results and what sort of cost your mix ended up being. I need a batch of Evapo Rust to do some old tools but would be keen to try what you doing.
    cheers

I've used it for de-rusting some old planes I got on Ebay, and I didn't care about the proportion, it worked fine for me, if you want it fast add more, if you want it slow put less and let it on the bath overnight.

I don't think it is that critical.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Rob, I'm just looking to try it. I've done electrolysis - works fine. And I've used Evaporust. It also works fine, but I don't like how it smells. It's non-toxic, and doesn't smell much, but I don't like the odor. Also, it's kinda pricey. I'm not sure how long it'll last, but so far, I've done a number of small items with a quart.

I've heard about citric acid, and was getting curious. FWIW, I paid about $3.39 for 5 oz at a bulk food store. 1 or 2# bags seem like a better value, I didn't know it came that way.