Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip

Trip

Well the wife and I just got back from a month long trip back east. It is the first time we have had a trip like this is our 42 yrs of marriage. No schedules, no alarm clocks, and just relax to enjoy everything we saw. My granddaughter graduated from high school June 10th in Richmond, VA. Visited my sister in North Carolina and then went to visit my old army buddy I haven't seen in 32 yrs. We went thru the army from basic to discharge together. I got to visit a few turners along the route and you will see in the picture some cherry I picked up from them. One log directly behind me is 26" in diameter and 3 ft long. The other standing on end is 24 1/2" in diameter and 2' long. The long one is 10" on one end and 12" on the other by a little over 4' long. Oh and the box you can see above one of the logs is my big smoker. So the cherry waste will make some great smoking wood. All in all it was a great, relaxing trip. Good to be home though and hopefully we will get unloaded to get back to some turning. The two big logs I hope to get my oneway coring rig out and give it a go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virginia Visit.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really envy you, Bernie!

The trip sounded great for you and your wife!
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Sounds like a great trip Bernie, good to see you're enjoying retirement. Welcome back!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Bernie, isn't retirement great. My wife and I just took a 2 week trip like that. No schedules is a great way to travel. Glad you are enjoying being retired.

Nice stealth wood gloat there Bernie. I was wondering where ya been. Now we can lookforward to seeing whats gonna come out of that Cherry. Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip. Must have been real treat to meet up with your ex army buddy. I can only imagine that. There is a special bond when you been through all that together.
    cheers

Nice Trip and good deal on the wood haul!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Glad to see ya back. Been woundering what happened to ya.

Thanks all. It is good to be back. Yep not to have to worry about schedules and time sure does feel good.

Rob K. it was great to see him. There is something about a war that makes your friendships special. I don't know what it is but maybe the fact that they could be your last friend or that you had to watch each others backs for so long. I don't know. It was great to see him and his family which I hadn't met yet because it had been 32 yrs ago.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

sounds like a great trip Bernie........now turn something so we can see that wood......................LOL..............take care
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Glad you had a good trip. If I can figure out a way to get a newer truck, my wife and I are going to do about a 1-2 month one of those next summer. That's if we can put up with each other in a 26' trailer that long!