GFCI Question

GFCI Question

I have a Hot Springs Spa. There is 110 v at the outlet. The power cord from the spa terminates in a large plug which contains a GFCI. The plug is a proprietary Hot Spring Spa unit with the GFCI built into it. Therefore, I cannot change it like could change a GFCI in a house outlet.

The spa is dead. That’s as dead as if it were in the middle of the Sahara desert 100 miles from the nearest source of power (no lights, no motor, no heat, no etc.).

GFCI

The GFCI pilot light is on so there is power getting to the unit.
Press the “Reset” button and the pilot light goes off.
Release the “Reset” button and the light comes back on.

Press the “Test” button and the light goes out.
Press the “Reset” button and the light comes back on. I pressed the “Reset” button immediately after the “Test” button and I repeated the procedure again with a couple minutes before pressing the “Reset” button. The results were the same.

When pressing the “Test” or “Reset” button there is a “click” sound. However, there is only a slight movement of the “Reset” button, not a large movement like the GFCI button on the outlets in the house.

In all instances the spa just sat there doing nothing.

The problem could be elsewhere. However, it really appears that power is just not getting to the spa. If the problem was an overheating motor tripping its own “Reset” button, it would not kill the entire spa. I could not find a “Reset” button on the heating unit.

Any and all advice will gratefully be accepted and I thank you in advance.

Enjoy,

Jim

If the spa is still under warranty, then let Hot Springs take care of it.

If it's beyond warranty, then - using a meter - check for voltage at the power panel inside the spa. If there's power there, then it ain't the GFCI.

If it IS the GFCI, then I'd be likely to cut it off, replace it with a regular plug, and MOST IMPORTANTLY(!), replace the outlet it's plugged into with a GFCI outlet.

But that's just me. You might want to buy a new power cord, with GFCI, from Hot Springs, and install it yourself.

I would follow Jims advice to the letter.:D You might want to check the rating on the motor though to make sure the GFCI receptacle you put in place can handle that current. That would apply to the breaker feeding the GFCI circuit in your main panel.

Question is why was the motor tripping in the first place. I presume the motor is driving a pump or sorts. Is the pump fine not seized. If the hottube is empty ie dry pump see if the motor shaft can be rotated reasonably freely. Maybe something got in the pump and jammed or is wedging the pump loading the motor beyond spec and causing the motor trip.

Hi,

Like I say, "Don't get old, your brains leak out." I can't believe I was so dumb---I didn't check the voltage on the other end of the line. I will do so first thing in the morning---well not first thing, I'll let it warm up a little.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Jim

Larry I dont think Glenn is posting here anymore with hints like that flying left right and center.:rofl::rofl::rofl: He is in hiding in another state until Jim gets the hot tub fixed.:D:thumb:

hey has anyone seen glenn arond his dad is need of some electrical help so he can have his bath water warmed up:) calling sonny come help out the old fellar:rofl:

Could be the GFCI is kerput, But could also be that whatever tripped the GFCI is still occuring and continues to trip the GFCI.

Go with the suggestion of checking the Warrantee and if out of date, get a service guy?

Go back to the shop and do wwing and let the hottub guys do their thing. :thumb:

Hi,

Yes, Glenn is out of town---way out of town---Antioch.

Yes, the problem was the GFCI. I purchased a contractors power cord with a 20 amp GFCI on one end and 3 outlets on the other. I saved the GFCI with the built in 3-prong cord---same idea as the Hot Springs Spa cord. I cut off the Hot Springs Spa power cord and attached it to the GFCI and everything seems hunky-dory. I left it unplugged until tomorrow when I will, hopefully be awake.

Guess I'm going to get the cold shoulder (along with everything else) in the morning.

Thank you all for the great, rapid responses.

Enjoy,

Jim