PBS Woodsmith shows

Rob Keeble

I have seen several of their shows, I'm sorry, but, I find them to be boring at best. Sort of like reading their magazine. I prefer to see creative project rather than joinery. But that is My Personal Opinion, I was looking forward to their show when the Promos started.... but was so let down when I watched it.

I have seen several of their shows, I'm sorry, but, I find them to be boring at best. Sort of like reading their magazine. I prefer to see creative project rather than joinery. But that is My Personal Opinion, I was looking forward to their show when the Promos started.... but was so let down when I watched it.

I only watched the one about making cutting boards. Did pick up a couple tips about the glueing process. Did not agree with suggestion to clean after glueing with a scraper. I think it is aimed at the beginner rather than the accomplished flat worker.

If you have iTunes you can subscribe to Woodworking Online Podcast and download all of the 44 videos that they have out and watch them at your leisure. I have picked up some nice little tidbit from each show.

The Woodsmith Shop shows on PBS and the video podcasts from Woodworking Online aren't the same. Both are Woodsmith but the Woodsmith Shop shows are made directly for tv. Whereas the Woodworking Online videos are taped at the weekly store seminars usually held during the winter months.

I find the Woodsmith Shop shows a little amateurish but still interesting enough to watch. The Woodworking Online taped seminars are very informative and cover a wide variety of subjects. You can download these videos from the woodworkingonline.com website for later viewing on your pc.

Jim

Rob, I have my DVR set to tape this show, but don't generally watch it from beginning to end on the edge of my seat. It is slow at times, yet from the other perspective, I have rarely watched it without learning something. I am still waiting on Vaughn to produce a FWW shop visit program with our ambassador/host Larry. :thumb:

Finally saw one to the Woodsmith shows - DVR'ed it, since it was on at 4:00 a.m. - and all I can say is it sure was boring.

Not quite exciting as watching grass grow. Slightly less entertaining than watching paint dry.

The various presenters lacked any sort of animation or enthusiasm.

Guess I won't bother recording any more episodes...

Jim i know i created this post but i realized after it was the podcasts i was refering to. However they too can be watched while you read the paper:D

In my area the pbs station i get does not even have the show on.

I miss Norm. Why they mess with something that is working i will never know. They could have found a new norm, even had a contest to do so and put a new younger norm on.

There is pretty much nothing i really want to watch on TV anymore.

About last March, there was many announcements about WGBH (the public television station that produced The New Yankee Workshop) going to start airing this Fall a new woodworking program. It will be a show by Thomas MacDonald, who appears to have some real credentials when it comes to woodworking. See the old announcement on Popular Woodworking.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/WGBH+Returns+To+Woodworking.aspx

I found a more recent interview with the guy and the show will air in October and will be called Rough Cut - with Tommy MacDonald. You can see the interview here.

http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/2010/06/rough_cut_woodworking_with_tommy_mac.htm

Apparntly he has some type of show on pod cast now and you can probably get a feel of what the show will be like from that.

http://www.207woodworking.com/

You can also check out his work on his website.

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/

same here Rob. PBS has pretty much turned into an elitist bunch of hand wringers around here.

I miss Norm as well.
I've seen a few of the woodsmith shows in the past and have picked up a few tips from them. they certainly aren't nail biters but some are kind of interesting.
Thanks for the link. :wave:

..... There is pretty much nothing i really want to watch on TV anymore.[/QUOTE said:
Know what you mean. If it weren't for the Discovery, History, and Natl Geographic channels, I wouldn't spend much time sitting in front of the tube, especially during the summer. DIY channel has completely gone to crap as far I'm concerned. Used to have some nice shows on home repair, auto repair, etc. Now it's all - I'm not even sure what I'd call it but it is C-R-A-P!

Jim