Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Lumber Rack

Lee Valley Lumber Rack

Hi everyone

Well I decided to try to give myself a bit more organized lumber storage in the cramped garage, the only available space was above some storage cabinets.

I though about building a rack but the old time/money quandary raised its ugly head and time won. And, given the limited available space, I was concerned that a wooden rack would require more space thus reducing the storage capability.

I bought parts from Lee Valley/ I am extremely impressed with the strength of these parts, they are massive!

The storage arms are 14" deep.

Here are the parts before I installed them

Attachment 4209

And here is the rack on the wall

Attachment 4210

I probably have a bit of overkill in the spacing of the wall brackets. But, the studs are 16" on center; installing the uprights on every other stud would result in 32" between the brackets, I thought, too great a distance to safely store "good wood".

Now I have to go get some wood! There are a couple of piece of spalted maple resting there along with some left over hard maple from the bathroom remodel project, some teak and a piece of snake-wood (I think)! Not a lot of great stuff but at least it isn't leaning against the wall and now I"ve got some space to store stuff for future projects.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Lock; 11-04-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Congratulations Jay.

Those racks are great. I have them installed along the entire length of the back wall of Shed 2 (i.e. my workshop):

Attachment 4214

They are the 12" variety and are spaced about 4 feet apart along the entire 40 foot wall at the back of the shop and garden shed.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-04-2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

I'm new to this board and as you can see this is my first post. Some of you may have seen a similar post on another board so please forgive my duplicaton.

I also opted for the Lee Valley unit. The specs state that the rack will hold 600 lbs. at the wall end and 300 lbs. at the outside end of the bracket. During construction I added 2x12 blocks between the studs for extra strength. I then attached the 2x4's to those brackets. This is what it looks like now. I didn't have to worry about the stud location in my case and as you can see in the photo weight doesn't seem to be an issue. Most of the boards are either 4/4 fairly wet Ponderosa pine and 8/4 dry Ponderosa pine all quite heavy.

I don't know if you can see it clearly but on the next to bottom shelf there are a couple of 98" Bessey clamps, just to give you an idea of the width of the installation.
    Last edited by Rick Levine; 02-04-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo

Hi Rick

Thanks for joining and posting!

Nice looking installation!

Jay

Nice racks Jay and Rick! I am going to have to do something like that as I am out of room. I think that 16" is perfect Jay. You will never have to worry if they are to far apart. I have block walls so can space however I want to but I could rest well with that spaceing. Looks expensive though. I am going to have to check out the price.

Nice lumber rack Jay.
    My rack is on 32" centers, I haven't had any problems...so far.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Nice racks Jay and Rick! I am going to have to do something like that as I am out of room. I think that 16" is perfect Jay. You will never have to worry if they are to far apart. I have block walls so can space however I want to but I could rest well with that spaceing. Looks expensive though. I am going to have to check out the price.
    Hey Allen, what about mine?
    Cheers, Frank

Hi Jay,

I love my Lee valley rack. I installed it on 32" centers then decided I better add more lag screws as I added more lumber to it. I am posting a picture of my rack...it's visible in the background. I think there is about 500 bd. ft. on there.

Attachment 4299

Doug

Well, I can always take out a few brackets and hang them up in another part of the shop! I was concerned that the wood woudn't stay flat with the brackets so far apart.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll View Post
    Well, I can always take out a few brackets and hang them up in another part of the shop! I was concerned that the wood woudn't stay flat with the brackets so far apart.

Jay
    I have not found that to be the case and my brackets are about four feet apart.
    Cheers, Frank