some practice sierras.... more of them....

Dan Noren

Staff member
since i had to do something today(while i was waiting for the shellac to dry), i was originally going to turn one sierra for practice, and do up the other 2 as shredded currency ones, under the tutelage of les. well, the currency didn't glue on as well as i had hoped, and looked quite bad (sorry, no pics, just have to take my word). so i soaked them in acetone for a couple of hours to loosen up the glue, and with a touch of a wire wheel, i was back in business again. from left to right, brazilian cherry, cocobolo, and walnut.

Attachments

• new pens.JPG
    new pens.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Nicely done group of Sierra's Dan!
Fit and finish look great with a nice choice of plating to complement the timber.

Don't give up on the shredded money blanks, just takes some patience and practice.

Les

so true of all good things les!:thumb: i managed to keep the brazilian cherry one for myself, the wife grabbed the other two...:rofl::rofl::rofl: i guess they will become gifts at some time or another.

Looks good Dan. Cocobolo is some good turning wood for pens. I acquired three sticks of cocobolo 1" X 1" X 24". Not to hijack your thread but here is a 30.06/cocobolo pen. Multiple coats of BLO and CA and some copper fittings.

Attachments

• cocobolo.jpg
    cocobolo.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
well, since i had one day off between work, and it was nice out, i decided to get a little more practice in on the sierras. just for the fun of it, i decided to try my hand at celtic knots. in the pic, the one on the left is my first attempt, brazilian cherry with maple at 45 degrees, the center is some figured walnut, and the right is maple with walnut at 30 degrees. i got better with a little practice. i tried to turn the coffee and cream acrylic from rockler, but both blanks i got out of it exploded on the lathe. they seemed to be a bit on the brittle side.

Attachments

• more practice pens.JPG
    more practice pens.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 20