Thread: Xmas in July from a Family Member

Xmas in July from a Family Member

Well this is sorta a stealth gloat, and another example of our family generosity here.

You gotta read the full story to catch the funny in this. Its at my expense but what the heck i am here with friends right?

So i get a pm a while back from the one and only Mr. Ambassador from Mi asking if i have found the "Lost Canadian" coming my way.

Well I said to the wife you better get ready for a visitor. Someone is coming up from the States and we in for a surprize visit and stop over.

Ok so time goes by and nothing happens. I pm Larry for more info and he pms back "dunno" as more info.

Well more time goes by and today a parcel arrives. Well i saw where it originated MI and who it was from so quickly opened it and saw a plane.

Was in the middle of doing something with the youngster who has been harrassing me since being off school and did not have time to take a good look in the box.

Ok so drop a quick PM to Larry thanking him for he fantastic gift and making me have to build a plane storage facility in my shop just like his and Jims........and get on with the task with my youngest son Vaughn.

Well I get back a pm from Larry asking if i eventually found the lost Canadian. So i pm him back and say Nah I dont know what happened but no one showed up here.

So i go back to fully opening the box the plane arrived in take it out set it down to photograph it for proof and then i am about to toss the box out and i feel something else in it. There you have Larrys letter carrier. Now most guys use an envelope not Larry its wood and a nice note and Chunk of Cherry (i think) make a good spinny project Larry . So i read the note and then i look at the plane in more detail.

Its a No5 Stanley made in Canada. This is the lost Canadian and its mades its way home.

Gotta say Larry you one heck of a guy. Thanks a ton. I just had my Xmas in July and all on Canada Day weekend. Dont get much better than that.

Now i need some help, Larry tried finding a missing screw for this plane but had no luck can any one direct me as to where i might find one or can someone that has a similar plane take a pic and dimensions so i can get my buddy with the metal lathe to turn me one. I can also measure the shank but its the thread size and diameter i dont know.

Larry i will tune it up and add it to the collection but its gonna be a user cause i aint got a number 5 Thanks my friend will cherish it with the other ones forever.

Here is the proof

The plane Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No.5 Stanley Canadian made Plane.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	46771 bottom view Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No. 5 Side View.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	46770 and the missing screw i need help with Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Help needed to source a handle screw.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	46768

Michigan Envelope Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherry letter carrier.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	46767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nice piece of Cherry.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	46769
    cheers

Another really cool story. Great job Larry!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great Job Larry, Rob if I were you I'd take the plane down to my local mom and pop hardware store if you have one and go through the fasteners till you find the right one. For me it would be the local True Value, I think in Canada it called True Serv.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

rob thats chocolate not cherry my friend and get ahold of stanley parts they might have that screw..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Rob,
    For the missing screw, try a 6mm X 0.75. It ought to work.

Otherwise, I might have one in the spare parts collection. Lemmee look.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

This truly is a big family!!! And Rob, just shows to go ya, what goes around, comes around. I'll be watching for my way to pay it forward. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

That Ambassador is some sly fellow. Gotta love him. Good for you Rob, and kudos to Mr. Merlau.

well see its like this,, i was lookun for a side plate for a stanley 140 skew plane and one turned up from a guy in spain so i just continued the voyage of a couple other planes to get some or flat folk on our team and when you find a lost canadain you just got to head them in the right direction and you never not listen to your best freind.. webster told me that his bud. big red had a master lookun for a plane so we helped him out and webster thanked me.. many wags of his tail and as always unconditional love.. what more can one ask for..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/index.html

Try this guy for tool parts. Found him during a search.

Nice job Larry.

Great narration Rob. Excellent work there Mr. Ambassador!!! The lost Canadian!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING