Planing/smoothing edges of hardwood frame on plywood edges?

allen levine

this is the third or fourth time I needed to plane down the sides of hardwood edging,(faceframe) I glued to plywood edges.
I only own 2 planes, a clifton smoother and 3/4 inch shoulder plane.
I like the smoother, it planes so easily, but getting smooth and even with plywood I tend to shave into the plywood sides.
Is there a certain technique Im lacking, (not that I ever had any style or technique with hand planes). Should I hold the plane a certain way, stand on whichever side and plane away, towards, 45 degrees, gotta be a way, or is it just alot of practice.
I usually give the scraper a couple of pulls when I done planing just to get a very smooth feel, and that doesnt cut into the plywood.
sorry if its a silly question, Im lacking experience with hand tools, especially planes.

Attachments

• bed 476 (Medium).jpg
    bed 476 (Medium).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11
What Don said, I was gonna say you gotta add another tool to the bunch you have already. Aint no one told you this neader stuff is a vortex worse than spinny.:rofl:

I would use a block plane too. Lighter small blade easier to control with one hand and take it easy. Free shipping before 11 July.:D;):thumb: