Thread: Is This a Good Deal?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Is This a Good Deal?

Hi all:

OK, this is what my neighbor has offered me. You tell me if it's a good deal. I know you like pictures, but my camera is at the new house and I'm at the old house.......My impression is that he's not giving away the stuff for free.....

For $500 he offers me, all used and dusty but in good running order, and he's offered to show me how everything works:

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day

4) Skil router (no bits)

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?

6) 1 18-gauge nailer

7) Elu sliding miter saw which he swears is super accurate + a big jig he built for it for infeed and outfeed (is that what you call it?)

For another $100 he would give me a large industrial drill press.

Should I take it or take fewer pieces.....or take nothing.....?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 07-03-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added 7th
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

green answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Hi all:

OK, this is what my neighbor has offered me. You tell me if it's a good deal. I know you like pictures, but my camera is at the new house and I'm at the old house.......My impression is that he's not giving away the stuff for free.....

For $500 he offers me, all used and dusty but in good running order, and he's offered to show me how everything works:

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades/75-100 unless its a old one built better than the new ones

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner/75-100

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day/25 buys new one right?

4) Skil router (no bits)/25 if it runs

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?/35 each

6) 1 18-gauge nailer/50 depending on brand and shape

For another $100 he would give me a large industrial drill press./yes fair price if its in good shape
    Should I take it or take fewer pieces.....or take nothing.....?

Thanks
    green answers
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    what size is the band saw ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Wait I forgot one:

included in the $500 is a Elu sliding miter saw. An older one that he swears is super accurate.

And in answer to Don, the bandsaw? Jeez I don't know. BIG.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 07-03-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added reply to Don
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Without more specifics I think the price may be a bit high.

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades

- I paid $80 for a 12" Craftsman bandsaw on the stand that was in great shape.

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner

- PC 557 type 2 is worth at least $150 but PC makes lesser machines that are worth about half that.

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day

- Not qualified to speak to this; no experince.

4) Skil router (no bits)

- Probably 1/4" collet and there for I agree that $25 would be a fair price for an "extra" 1/4" bit machine to add to the stable if you have room to store it.

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?

- A Black and Decker I wouldn't bother to carry home. Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. I would get model #'s and compare new price to what he is asking and judge from there.

6) 1 18-gauge nailer

- minimal experience here as well. I have been using the ones that came free with other tools for years and never had a problem or felt the need to upgrade BUT, I usethem very seldom. Like having them but just don't use them much.

Hope this helps a little. As you are finding out, general opportuinties and deals come along often enough. Its our specific needs that never seem to hit the want ads ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-03-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

If you need all those items, I would defnitely make him an offer below his asking price, it's maybe fair but not a great deal. Depending on which bandsaw, biscuit jointer, and drill press they could be good deals or overpriced. Brand/models/condition are kind of important to determine value.

I usually try and pay under 50% for something that looks new, 25-35% for something in good working order with use/cosmetic issues. Around here that's a good price but those deals do come along.