SKETCHUP Tutoring and the Design Forum

Dave Richards

FWIW, in order to keep the Design forum from becoming a SketchUp forum, I'll try to refrain from offering unsolicited help, too.

I would really like to see more discussion about actual design. I think we could include design in other areas besides woodworking if there is a way to tie that back in to woodworking.

Last edited:
Dave,
Your effort to educate the woodworkers here at FWW are to be commend. I for one have learned a great deal from what you have contributed. If you do decide to stop the tutorials I hope that you might consider posting some occasional things to help us along. I haven't posted much in this forum since I am involved in a rather large project (getting my new house built) but have a lot of thing that need to be built. I usually do the rough sketches in SU. I will put those designs here on the design forum for other to comment on. O want to thank you for your dedication to this vital part of FWW

Thank you Don. I won't quit the tutorials. I'll do them if someone asks. I just need to know what I need to be teaching. I just don't want to force SU down anyone's throat anymore. I won't be doing tutorials at all on the other US forum however. (I think I've probably worn out my welcome over there.)

I hope the house building goes well. Best wishes on that Don.

Dave,

Don't forget one thing - nobody is ever forced to read a thread on here. Since SU is such a great tool for designing projects, I think SU threads in the design forum are as valid as tablesaw or handplanes are in their respective forums. Okay there's no seperate tool sub-forum for design, but I think it's perfectly okay to post in there.

You've got some unique skills and I think you should contribute as much as you want. Anybody who's not interested can simply click on another thread.

I for one do not feel like you force it down anyones throat. I enjoy the tutorials, reviews, and comments you provide.

I will say, I don't quite understand doing curves and applying moldings, don't know that I am saying it right. If you remember the dresser I drew, I never did figure out how to do the bead around it correctly. Some guidance there would be appreciated as next up I have a nightstand to make to match the dresser.

Thank you gentlemen. Ian you make a couple of good points. You always do.

Travis, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were still having trouble. I don't think I still have your dresser model to refer to. Perhaps you could refresh my memory?

Cheers,

Dave

I finished the project (woodworking), but never finished the drawing/drawers.

Just think of a 3/4" board lets say 4" by 12". How would you put an attached bead around it?

Don't forget, it took me a day and a half to figure out the scale tool and using it for creating mirror objects.

I don't know if anyone will care Many more people care than will ever post their thoughts but I've come to a decision. Although it seems there is getting to be less need for my SU tutoring, I've decided that Family Woodworking is going to be my forum of choice for answering SU related questions. I am glad you are willing to tutor here, that is a big decision, from me to you, Thanks..not for limiting your self but for staying on here, to help as you do.. I'm going to limit myself to posting SU stuff in the Design forum here. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about SU and want my help.

FWIW, in order to keep the Design forum from becoming a SketchUp forum, I'll try to refrain from offering unsolicited help, too.

I would really like to see more discussion about actual design. This is an idea that sounds very interesting, from an artist's point of view. I think we could include design in other areas besides woodworking if there is a way to tie that back in to woodworking. I think you have an interesting idea and I would like to help you pursue this. Maybe a brainstorming thread
Hi Dave, :wave:
Having read a number of your postings, your unselfish efforts to share your knowledge is evident and hopefully appreciated. You are teaching people to fish. Such a gift. Your gentle kindness is apparent in the way you offer up your services.
.Thank you.... Little does he know I am pumping him up because I have sooooooooo many questions I intend to ask him.:D :D :D and well, I believe what I type.:type:
Shaz
P.S. That Jack Handey had some profound sayings, always enjoyed them.

Last edited:
Thank you Don. I won't quit the tutorials. I'll do them if someone asks. I just need to know what I need to be teaching. I just don't want to force SU down anyone's throat anymore. I won't be doing tutorials at all on the other US forum however. (I think I've probably worn out my welcome over there.)

I hope the house building goes well. Best wishes on that Don.

Well now I'll be designing & building an under bench tool box with drawers. It will need to set on top of & lock between the lower bench rails. 26" deep front to back 45 1/2" wide in 2 sections that will screw together & 24" tall. The bench is used for table-saw out-feed too. I plan to make the main cases about 20" tall with the right & left end 4" taller to attach full extended glides on for a full across the top of both cabinet sections drawer so that it can be used to clear the top of the bench in a hurry so it can be used for out-feed. The drawers could be boxes with fronts attached & full extended glides. I could have approximately 21" wide drawers but am having thoughts of not going with my normal face frame front because I usu sally have a 1" rail between each drawer. I don't want to lose this space. I was thinking of drawer boxes inside doors. I was thinking of maybe using door hardware like is used on TV armories that allows the doors to slide in along the sides of the cabinet. Ideas are welcome. I won't be starting this until the end of the month.

I have played with the tutorials but still have no idea how ro design a cabinet with this software.
At this point I know I can design it on the fly with a pencil & paper way faster the using SU. In about 10 minutes I can have a rough sketch that will work to do the job.

Last edited:
Dave, I know I sure appreciate seeing your SketchUp tutorials, even though some of them I've simply bookmarked for later reference. Trust me, a lot of what you post may not seem to generate a lot of comments, but it's helping out a lot of people. It's a great asset for us to have your knowledge here. I think you'd have to get pretty obnoxious before your welcome would be worn out here. :p

I've felt bad that we've not generated more traffic in the Design forum, but feel grateful that you've decided this will be your forum of choice. :thumb:

Dave, please don't give up on it. I have not participated thus far, because about the time you started the tutorials, they had upgraded the free SU, and due to problems developing in my computer, (which have not yet been resolved), I have been unable to upgrade to the new version, and the old one will no longer work. With that problem, I just backed off and figured I would go back and take advantage of the tutorials when I get this "sick machine" and the connection problem finally working right again, and if ANYONE needs help on this subject, it is Definitely ME.:huh: :dunno: :huh: :D

Hi Dave, :wave:
Having read a number of your postings, your unselfish efforts to share your knowledge is evident and hopefully appreciated. You are teaching people to fish. Such a gift. Your gentle kindness is apparent in the way you offer up your services.
.Thank you.... Little does he know I am pumping him up because I have sooooooooo many questions I intend to ask him.:D :D :D and well, I believe what I type.:type:
Shaz
P.S. That Jack Handey had some profound sayings, always enjoyed them.

Shaz, you do a good job of pumping. :D I don't know anything about fishing but I'd be happy to help you any time.

Dave

Dave, please don't give up on it. I have not participated thus far, because about the time you started the tutorials, they had upgraded the free SU, and due to problems developing in my computer, (which have not yet been resolved), I have been unable to upgrade to the new version, and the old one will no longer work. With that problem, I just backed off and figured I would go back and take advantage of the tutorials when I get this "sick machine" and the connection problem finally working right again, and if ANYONE needs help on this subject, it is Definitely ME.:huh: :dunno: :huh: :D

Norman, I won't give up here. If you want to chat on the phone, maybe I can help you get things worked out with your computer so you can run SU. If you want to do that, send me a PM with your phone number or I can send mine to you via PM.

Dave

Bart, once you get the basics under your belt you should be able to zoom right through designing and drawing the tool box. The easiest thing is to start quick and rough. Just get the shape of the cabinets down as boxes. then add details and rework as needed. I can zip out something to get you started if you think that will help.

Well now I'll be designing & building an under bench tool box with drawers. It will need to set on top of & lock between the lower bench rails. 26" deep front to back 45 1/2" wide in 2 sections that will screw together & 24" tall. The bench is used for table-saw out-feed too. I plan to make the main cases about 20" tall with the right & left end 4" taller to attach full extended glides on for a full across the top of both cabinet sections drawer so that it can be used to clear the top of the bench in a hurry so it can be used for out-feed. The drawers could be boxes with fronts attached & full extended glides. I could have approximately 21" wide drawers but am having thoughts of not going with my normal face frame front because I usu sally have a 1" rail between each drawer. I don't want to lose this space. I was thinking of drawer boxes inside doors. I was thinking of maybe using door hardware like is used on TV armories that allows the doors to slide in along the sides of the cabinet. Ideas are welcome. I won't be starting this until the end of the month.

I have played with the tutorials but still have no idea how ro design a cabinet with this software.
At this point I know I can design it on the fly with a pencil & paper way faster the using SU. In about 10 minutes I can have a rough sketch that will work to do the job.

dave, i`ll probably give s/u a try sometime this year:eek: .......i`m still tryin` to figure out word.......but rest assured there will be lots of idiot type questions forthcomming.....tod

I don't know if anyone will care but I've come to a decision. Although it seems there is getting to be less need for my SU tutoring, I've decided that Family Woodworking is going to be my forum of choice for answering SU related questions. I'm going to limit myself to posting SU stuff in the Design forum here. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about SU and want my help.

I would really like to see more discussion about actual design. I think we could include design in other areas besides woodworking if there is a way to tie that back in to woodworking.

Hi Dave
Glad you're still going to be around. Your tutorials/personal responses and SU have given me the tools I've wanted for years for designing projects. In the last couple months I find my self eager to fire up SU when I have a project or idea in mind.
For me and for now its a tool for for WW projects and I feel I have a good handle on SU for that purpose

What I highlighted in your quote..... maybe thats the by product of a good teacher:thumb: Also I wonder if after time as the tutorials get pushed down the thread list new comers don't know that they are there.
Dan

Tod, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Dan, thank you for the compliments. You may be right about the tutorials slipping down the forum. The long tutorial I did on SMC using the armoire might be a good example. Actually a couple of weeks ago I had to move the images which broke the links in the tutorial. I can't edit the tutorial because of the way the forum is set up. No one has complained although I have noticed the view count on it keeps rising. I suppose I could ask Aaron about fixing it but I'm not really inclined to do so. I think I'll let that slide off into oblivion there.

If anyone is interested in seeing that tutorial, it still exists where I originally posted it and I would provide the link to whomever wants it.

So, ask away if you have questions.

Norman, I won't give up here. If you want to chat on the phone, maybe I can help you get things worked out with your computer so you can run SU. If you want to do that, send me a PM with your phone number or I can send mine to you via PM.

Dave

Dave, the problem is that my hard drive is trying to DIE and the modem is also malfunctioning, AND there is bad noise on the phone line (dialup) which the pho co hasn't fixed yet either. Anytime I try to download something, it disconnects and sends erroneous signals and screws up the whole process. Hopefully we can get things repaired/replaced/corrected as soon as my Computer GURU gets some spare time from his computer job at the TV Station.
Note: As an example, it has disconnected twice while I have been tying this.

Thanks for the offer though.

Well, Norman, I don't think I can do much for you over the phone with those problems. I wish I could. Once you get them sorted out, let me know and we'll get to work on learnin' you SketchUp. ;)

If it doesn't warm up here pretty soon I'm going to be heading down your way to do an in person SketchUp class. If I can find someone to put me up, we'll have a big session. I'll actually be able to use the computer because I'll be able to take off my big mittens.:D

Last edited:
another vote for your efforts dave i am not very well versed in your program but have learned more form you than the tutorials,, so i for one who hasnt got it yet will be looki for more teachin later on.. thanks for your help thus far. it doesnt matter where you put it i will look, listen and hopefully learn.