white oak buffet/server

hi allen! i gave it a quick one through sketchup, and exported pics. hope this will show you what larry was telling you about, and clear up your questions.:D:thumb:

Attachments

• bead door 1.jpg
    bead door 1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 16
  • bead door 2.jpg
    bead door 2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 17
thats what larry is talking bout, but I spent over an hour looking up similar doors last night till I understood.
Its a great idea, but opening room is not a problem, so Im going with only one door on each side. Using hidden cup hinges will be challenging enough for me to figure out how to get on right.

rant, rant, rant, but Im laughing at all of it.

I figured by today, this afternoon, Id have the doors installed and I would be milling the difficult thick oak for the top, but be on the home stretch with construction of this unit.
Last night, I decided to use all the extra pine I had purchased to do my daughters closet(just trying to be prepared), and build mock up doors using the kind of ship lap overlay in the middle of each set of doors and then decided to put a piece of mahogany, 2 inches wide, in the center of each set, attached to only one ofcourse, with a stainless steel very modern ring pull.I completely changed the look of things, but decided to go with it.
First problem, the 2.5 inch stiles and rails are just too big, theres no panel i nthe doors. So I cut down the width to 1.5 inch, took out my dados and cut halfway up one stile on the outside of each door. INstead of having the doors overlap each other, I would just cut the rabbet out, then put a piece attached to only one door in the middle, same effect, doesnt have to be so precise since the center piece covers if its off.
When I had enough clamped so I can see what it looked like, I wasnt thrilled.
Its a great idea, and I will use it for my built ins, but for this heavy bulk masculine(yeah, masculine) unit, those little 8 inch wide doors looked like they belonged on a jewerly box, not a big thick buffet unit. Doors were just too small, and the middle piece made me think of a 1960's Admiral TV console my parents had, the unit looked dated. I wanted something like comtemporary/butcher block/shaker kinda thing going on.
So I wasted a night and an hour this morning, not a big deal, I got a very early start today.
And then it all went downhill.

After I was busy ripping apart the stuff I did, I see some gentleman around my age driving up my driveway in one of those little handicap carts, with 3 wheels, and a basket in front. The kind of thing you see in a supermarket, it has an electric motor, people who cant walk, anyway.......
He says something like nice layout, I didnt hear him, then I asked him if theres something or someone hes looking for(I figured hes asking for charity money, who else would drive up like that to my backyard)
He let me know that the chair I threw out in last nights trash(todays pickup), stuck out a bit too much and he cut his leg when he was in front of my house.
WHAT? My street is 4 car width, and then some. My tossed adirondack chair was halfway on my lawn and then a foot in the street in front of my house. The garbage men didnt complain about it.
It turns out he rides around monday mornings early and takes any returnable bottles out of anyones recycle bins.And when he was backing up his motorized wheelchair cart, his leg caught the end of the chair which was piled neatly next to the recycling bin.
He started to complain, but I rudely stopped him and told him I am not in the mood to hear his nonsense complaint, to go tell the village and please leave my property. He then began to explain to me he has a disease that causes him to be in a wheelchair half the time and his vision is very poor and people need to be more considerate. I then told him hey, I have a disease that attacks my muscles and my vision sucks also, but I dont blame someone when I get hurt not paying attention to what Im doing. He thought I was making fun of him or something, he left in a huff, and had some not so nice things to say. I felt like giving him a flattire, but was already behind my daily schedule.
so after the mayor left me, I decided to go with the 2.5 inch stiles and rails, I had already made them. And extras. I ruined one or two of them, but had extra white oak ready.
Within 2 minutes, I dropped a white oak panel I was about to raise, the end cracked off, but I had also glued up an extra panel, way ahead of myself.
I cut and planed both panels down, measured and remeasured the size, made the final cuts, then finally got to try out my vertical panel raising bit. I was dying to try this out.
I put on a higher fence, which didnt work out, cause I couldnt grip the panel from the back also, the bit caught the panel and it smashed into my left hand, and fingers, and stung.
I went back down to smaller fence, and carefully, slowly, kept moving the fence up slowly to just shave off a little with each pass, doing each panel at same time so everything was the same.
I finished, had two beautiful raised panels, a satisfying thing finally today.
Until I put them into the rails and stiles, I made them 1/2 inch short top to bottom.. I dont know how I made the mistake, I had the correct measurements written down.
Something has to go right today, just something.
I cut up whatever cracked or extra pieces of white oak I had laying around, I did not want to start cutting down another 8 footer. Ive wasted quite a bit of lumber on these 2 16 inch doors.
I decided to come up here and log on and read and relax before I did another glue up, this time Im making flat panels.
To just add a bit more of insult to my day, after I closed up I tripped over the extension cord I have to use to run some machines since my electric line burned out. I creamed my knee, and I called up the electrician to remind him he said, Im family, as soon as the ditch is dug, hell do it, even if its at night.so when can you come over, tonight, tomorrow, hell try and make it thursday.
I tripped the circuit breaker 5 times today.
I might just call it a day and probably the most non productive day Ive had in 4 years.

Last edited:
well allen thanks for the augh, on the old guy givun yu grief..i could see you clearly standing there wanting to get something done and some ole guy tell yu his woes.. and to make your plays right back at him and yur working instead of ridun.. hope thiongs go better for yu tommrrow

Some days go like this. I would offer you the advice my father gave me all the time and still does, I have yet to follow it i might add but you might be better behaved than me.:rofl:

"More haste less speed" :rofl::rofl:

Sometimes we gotta go slower to get there faster.;)

The folks in the scooter chairs in the supermarket drive me nuts. they drive down the center of the aisle about 1/2 mph and won't move over to let someone go by.

But it sounds like your old goat may have put a gypsy curse on you today :rofl::rofl::rofl:

after cutting up some of the last of the thick oak for the top, I realized I wont have enough because one piece has too much checking right through it, split down at least a foot and a half down.
I didnt dare go near the bandsaw to resaw today, not a good day to try things I find difficult. Tomorrow is another day for that aggrevation. Im going to have to change my original table top thickness from 1.5 inch down to 1.25 inch, or a tad less than that once I resaw.
My final goof up today, and again, I cant believe I did it, I put the holes for the hinges on wrong edge.(only on one piece) Unbelievable. Im not usually this disorganized.
The cabinet has its inside put in, just some birch ply to make it look clean, and I put some of the parts clamped on to get an idea of what it will look like.(ofcourse, no space between panel and rail)

Attachments

• bed 507 (Medium).jpg
    bed 507 (Medium).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 23
  • bed 509 (Medium).jpg
    bed 509 (Medium).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bed 510 (Medium).jpg
    bed 510 (Medium).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 23
  • bed 512 (Medium).jpg
    bed 512 (Medium).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bed 513 (Medium).jpg
    bed 513 (Medium).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
bad day just gets worse, and worse

I went in ate dinner, took a nap.
Ok, let me set up bandsaw for tomorrows resawing.
I was lifting the tensioning arm to set blade tension, I snapped the arm right off.
I have little clue how to put it all back together and what pieces cracked or broke off.
Ill have to contact someone locally who can come down and pick it up and repair it now, which Im sure will run me a small fortune, but I cant transport this machine myself. Over and out, what a lousy, lousy day.

Last edited:
if anyone is still following my miserable day........my son told me not to call anyone, he will look it over tomorrow and try to figure it out.
I spent the evening looking over the manual, and decided to go back out at 10:30 and hook up the lights, and look for the part that cracked off.
I found it. The locate block cracked. The spring pin is still in the cracked off piece, I dont know if its good. Im always a bit amazed that a piece of steel just cracked, and especially from my arms strength, which is about zero at that time of day.
I think with his help Ill be able to save a bundle and purchase the parts I need and get it back running. I hope so.
The first picture show how the bottom of the block just cracked off.
I held the handle in place where its supposed to be.

Attachments

• bed 518 (Medium).jpg
    bed 518 (Medium).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bed 516 (Medium).jpg
    bed 516 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 29
A smart man here told me to look at ereplaceme**parts and sure enough, the 2 parts I seem to need are less than 5 bucks.
If I could reattach it all it will be a huge relief, and tremendous cash savings.
I remember the the first month I posted here, not being ashamed to admit I know very little about machinery, Tod said if youre going to woodwork, you are going to learn about machines.
I never thought he was joking, just wasnt sure if he was right. He was right.

Last edited:
A smart man here told me to look at ereplaceme**parts and sure enough, the 2 parts I seem to need are less than 5 bucks.
If I could reattach it all it will be a huge relief, and tremendous cash savings.
I remember the the first month I posted here, not being ashamed to admit I know very little about machinery, Tod said if youre going to woodwork, you are going to learn about machines.
I never thought he was joking, just wasnt sure if he was right. He was right.

Allen
I missed that when it was originally posted, but your right, Tod had that right....

Allen i would think that the Iturra Design 888-722-7078 guy has replacement parts that are probably way better. He dont have a website but i have been told he is incredibly helpful and has a great catalog with loads of useful bandsaw info. Give him a call. I am sure he will have something to help you.

Boy that was a bad day and a half. Hope it gets better.:)

without the bandsaw to resaw the pieces, I used the plunge saw, cut 2 inch slices, flipped them on the side and jointed and planed them and will glue up a few more boards. Instead of 4 5 inch boards, Ill glue up 8-9 2.5 inch boards.
Parts were ordered for the bandsaw, should have them by the weekend.
rain was flooding in with garage door open, so I called it a day.

Im apologizing in advance for the many posts here.

Im sorry, after this build I will shut up and try not to bother anyone.
Im stumped again tonight.
I decided to install a door to see how the hinges work. Ive never used cup hinges before, started, but never actually fitted my own doors.
I mounted the hinges as per instructions, 1/4 inch from edge, leaves a 1/16th space. I purchased the little jig to measure where to drill cup holes when I bought the 35 mm forstner bit.
The hinges went on, I checked for level and straight, but that isnt my problem.
The doors pull too far inwards. I played around with adjusting screws, not really going to help it. The hinge just pulls the door way in.bed 540 (Medium).jpgThe door opens perfectly,bed 534 (Medium).jpg and stays straight and holds open fine. I could mount a small stop near the upper corners, just a tiny lip to preven this, but IM curious if I did something wrong, or if there is a trick all you kitchen guys know about that ofcourse I dont.
I needed to post a picture so it would be understood.
(Please do not rag on me for all the pockets screws. I will fill them all in with oak plugs. My hands are just not functioning well and thats too many mortise and tenon joints. My son will not be too thrilled I used pocket screws for the doors, since once opened they can be seen)
Please take a look if you know blum face mount inset door hinges and let me know what is the secret.Its not easy being, uh, lets say over 55 and having to ask questions like Im in third grade.

Attachments

• bed 535 (Medium).jpg
    bed 535 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bed 537 (Medium).jpg
    bed 537 (Medium).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
  • bed 539 (Medium).jpg
    bed 539 (Medium).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 18
Allen,
Don't know a thing about the hinges but next time you do face frames if you don't want to do M/T you might try doing lap joints instead of pockets screws or even do butt joints with dowels. Either way would be far easier then having to go back and plug all those pockets screw holes.

Last edited:
Hey Allen you need a stop for the doors to stop against. These hinges don't stop at exactly 90 degrees. On frameless cabinets the cabinet itself is the stop and it you do face frame you typically raise the bottom above the rail or lower the top below the upper rail to act as a stop for the doors.

IM going to glue and pin a small piece of wood inside the cabinet to stop them. I didnt know they didnt stop at 90 degrees. almost 8 bucks a hinge, I figured theres some kind of adjustment.
They are inset doors.