Dyed Elm Goblet

Curt Fuller

I hope I'm posting this to the right place. This is a Siberian Elm goblet with interlocked captive rings. It's dyed with some blue artisan dye on the base and stem and fading into the cup. I left the rings and the top of the cup the natural wood color. It's about 6.75" tall by just under 2" diameter.

Attachments

• dyed elm goblet.JPG
    dyed elm goblet.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 35
Hey Curt, good to see you made it in. ;) Yes, this is the right place to post pics of this gorgeous goblet. I really like the faded dye, and you've definitely got the captive ring thing mastered. Very cool. :thumb:

First, WELCOME CURT!! :wave: :thumb: :D

Second, NICE GOBLET!

That Elm really looks like the Red Keyaki I've been turning and loving to hate!:(

Rock hard, dulls tools in a jiffy......... but, looks SO nice when finished.

How did you find the Elm to work?

Cheers!

Thanks everyone.

Stuart, this Siberian Elm is pretty soft. It's not native around here but grows everywhere like a weed. So there's always someone cutting one down and the wood is probably the easiest free wood for me to get. It's grainy and tears easy but it sands easy too. This color thing is something new that I just started experimenting with. So far I've tried it on the elm and some oak but I need to get something a little more dense that will color more evenly. It sure makes you have pretty fingers though.