Way to go Michigan this is what is needed

Rob Keeble

Take a look at this link to Chris Schwarz blog.

I am overjoyed by this initiative on the part of the guy in the article, for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with woodworking.

We should know how tough Michigan as a state has it right now. But this is the true test of a people. The going gets tough so they innovate.

I have been preaching, yeah i just have a different book, to business owners that when you have done cutting the heck out of your business and got nowhere elese to go, innovation is the only answer.

But to get this through to people is like banging my head on the wall.:bang:

Just look around in the consumer market place.

In recent years you have Apple enter the phone market and have the effect of taking a piece of pie but spurring a whole new growth of the market pie for everyone in the industry to share in.

More recent just look at Grizzly....go from Green to White with a new name and "Introductory Prices" to get you to open your wallet.

These are two extremes one a whole new product and the other a facelift but both involved simple innovation and a little good marketing.

Now you consider this guy in Michigan has taken a product like a woodworkers vise and applied a new approach to it.

Yeah the basics of this mechanism have been around in mechanics but he had the initiative to apply it and it was not a one day wonder.

I tip my hat to this guy because this is what will get the whole economy going again. You gotta give people new reasons or more reasons to think about buying your product again.

Way to go Michigan.:thumb::thumb: Oh and Jonathan he went to Purdue :D

I hope he gets all the support he deserves.:)

Art its twin screw with quick release and look at the clamping. Compare it to the twin screw Lee Valley has with a chain etc. This is so clean neat and simple. Watch the video.

Seems like when you turn the handles to the left, it releases the grip on the bars so you can slide it where ever you want. Turn to the right (probably less than 1/4 turn) and it grips the bars, then pulls on them to tighten the vise.

The handles never make a full turn. Very nice...

Art its twin screw with quick release and look at the clamping. Compare it to the twin screw Lee Valley has with a chain etc. This is so clean neat and simple. Watch the video.

I did watch the video, Rob, and I looked at the photo of the underside of the bench. I'm still :huh::huh::huh:

That gearing thing is under the bench. So if the pipes are smooth and slide in and out, then how do they grip that mechanism when he turns the handle? Was there a groove in the pipe that we don't see, which hooks into a tooth?