Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance wax question

Renaissance wax question

I have been using Renaissance wax on alot of the turnings and I read a article on AAW where someone stated the best way to use it is to put it on by hand scrubbing it in with a rag or paper towel............let it sit for a hr and then buff it off with a cotton wheel at low speed.......the person said that it would produce the best shine that way...........anybody else using it this way ?
    Low speed ?............like what?.......800 or lower ?
    I pm the person and never did get a answer but thought I would post on here and see how others are using it...................
    I have been using it on some of the projects that i finished with laquer............let dry for a week or better......knocked down with 0000 then applied it by hand and removed it by hand both............would there really be that big of a difference..............
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

After a piece has been buffed with the other compounds, I apply a thin coat of Renaissance wax by hand (I use a little 2" or so square of t-shirt material), let that dry for a while (5 to 30 minutes, give or take), then buff with a clean flannel (cotton) wheel spinning between about 800 and 1200 rpm. I use a light touch and relatively low speed to avoid melting (and removing) the wax.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've never used the Ren wax, but see that lots of turners do... I guess I need to try it sometime. Until then only answer I have is
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I started using it because I didn't like finger prints or water spots on my pieces. I apply it by hand with a soft paper towel or T-shirt. I leave it for 2 to 5 minutes then buff. They say it dries instantly.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

After buffing with appropriate compounds I apply ren/wax by hand real skin then buff it off with a light touch to the cotton wheel.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Well thanks for the responses.......I have been doing it either by hand or on a buffer i have with a speed or 1250.....very light touch is right.......have also buffed by hand...........just depends i guess.....but thanks for the responses
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I remember when Eli Avisera was here doing a Demo he said that anything you put on a piece on the lathe should be applied with the lathe turned off, his main reason for this was the the spinning piece would fling the finish out from the piece. I guess this would only apply to the outside of a bowl

The other reason he said was safety, which in my opinion is even more important, spinning wood, finish and fingers combined could result in a trip to the hospital

BTW, I've been told that the clear shoe polish, the Kiwi stuff, is basically the same as the Renaissance wax

I know it sure smells the same, and it costs a TON less, and if it works for shoes FYI
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    BTW, I've been told that the clear shoe polish, the Kiwi stuff, is basically the same as the Renaissance wax
    I was going to say that the Ren Wax does have a distinctive odor. Never smelled the clear Kiwi wax, but I doubt it has the same insert describing all of the various benefits and applications!

Just bought a can of the Ren wax a little while ago. Guess next time I stop by Wally World I'll have to take a look for some kiwi!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I remember when Eli Avisera was here doing a Demo he said that anything you put on a piece on the lathe should be applied with the lathe turned off, his main reason for this was the the spinning piece would fling the finish out from the piece. I guess this would only apply to the outside of a bowl

The other reason he said was safety, which in my opinion is even more important, spinning wood, finish and fingers combined could result in a trip to the hospital ...
    I do nearly all my finishing off the lathe, but I'm guessing Eli doesn't use a lot of friction polish like Myland's. Although I wouldn'[t use it on a bowl of other large piece, it's handy stuff for smaller things that don't need a super durable finish.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Years ago, I used to use both Ren wax and Mylands on pens...then I was schooled by finishes that wore off. On boxes they both work well. I adopted an approach that Richard Raffin did on a video. He wiped a piece of 0000 steel wool in renwax and applied it at about 800 rpm. It looks really cool!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots