8" vs 12" jointer delima

Jeff Horton

I have been trying to work a deal on a very old 12" jointer for some time. An 8" Oliver direct drive has come available in my area. These Olivers are known as very nice jointer's. I am debating on what to do, I would prefer the old one but it really needs a lot of work. Money wise I would end up with about the same as the Oliver probably. Plus a lot of work.

The real issue is just how much more useful is a 12" than a 8" jointer? I know that no one knows my style of work better than me. And there isn't that often I have a 10-12" board in the shop. And then you can still joint it on an 8", just not as easy.

Talk to me. I am really undecided here.

Jeff
In a quadry

Hi Jeff,
If you don't need a 12" jointer get the Oliver. I got a 12" juat because I got a fairly good deal. Chances are that I will not joint a 12 board I would saw it uo to something smalle to keep it from cupping. But if your doing bench tops its the cats meow. Grab the Olie I don't think you will regret it
Reg

Thats part of it Rich, I probably don't need a 12". I have always wanted one though. And this H&B is so cool looking. Of course it is going to be a huge amount of work. And the Ollie's are such good machines..... :dunno:

Going to try to get a look at the Ollie this week and see what it needs. I think I am slightly leaning that way. But only very slightly.

I have an 8 and I want a 12 or 16. I started with a 6 and upgraded to a DJ-20 several years back. Maybe I have tool upgrade disease, but many times I get a 8 1/2 or larger board and want to face joint it.

I like you can see it both ways. Sorry I'm not any more help.....

Actually you are helping! I posted this on 3 forums and people are making some good points for sticking with the 12" jointer.

I posted photos of it in the Old Tools. And yes, I know it is going to take a LOT of work to bring this one back to life.

Jeff

Personally, I want at least a 12" jointer, because I know that 12" will be the minimum planer I use, and it makes sense to match them up in size so they can work together.

Now, a 12" Ollie would settle everything for you! :rofl:

Is the 12" jointer babbitt? Does it need the head replaced?

I would go with the 12"jointer. Reason being the if you have a rough sawn board that needs to be 10". It will be closer to 11" when you first start out. If you can handle doing the work, I would go for it.

I have decided against the Ollie. I think the gleam of newer shiny paint momentarily blinded me. :D Seriously I got some good answers on the different forums and realize that it would be a mistake.

Also have worked out delivery, just not sure sure when it's going to get here but I do have the arrangements made to get it to my shop.