Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round veneer top table

Round veneer top table

A few years ago I read an article, I think in Fine Woodworking, with lots of hints about how to veneer a starburst design on a round table, and tricks for veneer trim bands around the edge of the table, etc. It was really good, but I didn't expect to ever make a round dining room table.

I got a commission this week to build a 6 foot diameter round dining room table, you got it, veneered with starburst and trim bands. I spend a couple hours looking through my woodworking magazines, and couldn't find the article.

I asked a friend who has every issue of Fine Woodworking, and their on-line service. He remembered the article, but couldn't find it - either on-line or in his collection.

Since I keep all the old woodworking magazines, I should still have it. If anyone recognizes the article and can find what issue it was in, I would sure appreciate it.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Not sure about the finewoodworking issue but do check out the tutorials by our own Mike Henderson:

http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Tutorials.htm

Charlie,

Go to the online magazine index, type in "veneer" and view the results. I think it will find what you are looking for. One result was Tables, veneered, sunburst - #146.

http://www.taunton.com/cgi-bin/artresult-fw.cgi
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I went to my DVD collection of the magazine (1975-2009) and found that issue #111 had a good article on starburst veneer on a round table.

By the way, the online collection of Fine Woodworking articles you get with an online membership is very limited. Because of royalty issues, a lot of articles are not there. The DVD on the other hand has almost all of the articles. I found all of this out when I sent a complaint to Taunton Press about not being able to find many articles with my online membership. They contacted me, explaining the above facts and offered me a great deal on the DVD.

It was hard to explain to the wife how complaining about their service, resulted in me giving them more money. The DVD is much better than their first CD product that I bought many years ago. I am glad I bought it.
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Ok, Charlie. I found your article. It is in issue #206, but also check out #127. The DVD has a real good search engine. I finally got smart and typed in "sunburst" instead of "veneer" and really honed in the results.

go gettum bill!!! thanks for helping him so fast and well.. and for theheads up on the dvd,,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Charlie,

Go to the online magazine index, type in "veneer" and view the results. I think it will find what you are looking for. One result was Tables, veneered, sunburst - #146.

http://www.taunton.com/cgi-bin/artresult-fw.cgi
    Thanks for three things, Bill
    1. The last time I looked for the Fine Woodworking magazine index, I got wound up in their sales pitch for an on-line subscription (which I don't want since I own 2/3 or more of the magazines). I am glad to have the link to the index.
    2. Issue 146 seems to be about the right timeframe. Of course 146 is missing from my collection, and there is nothing in the table of contents for page 118 or on the subject, so I'm not sure.
    3. Your PM suggesting issue 206 was helpful... I had skipped over it during the search since I didn't want/like the scalloped edge, but when I looked today, that was just an alternate, not the primary technique. That article will be very helpful.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    go gettum bill!!! thanks for helping him so fast and well.. and for theheads up on the dvd,,
    I just happened to have the DVD with me, still in its plastic wrap. When I saw Charlie's post, I broke it open and loaded it up. It is really cool in that you have a pdf of the entire magazine, including the ads which is way different than the old CD version.

They had a special on the DVD, but I don't see it any more. Customer Service gave me the special price in advance plus free shipping, so I jumped on it.

It is really hard to tear myself away from the DVD, as it is very addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Thanks for three things, Bill
    1. The last time I looked for the Fine Woodworking magazine index, I got wound up in their sales pitch for an on-line subscription (which I don't want since I own 2/3 or more of the magazines). I am glad to have the link to the index.
    2. Issue 146 seems to be about the right timeframe. Of course 146 is missing from my collection, and there is nothing in the table of contents for page 118 or on the subject, so I'm not sure.
    3. Your PM suggesting issue 206 was helpful... I had skipped over it during the search since I didn't want/like the scalloped edge, but when I looked today, that was just an alternate, not the primary technique. That article will be very helpful.
    Charlie,

I looked into #146 and it only has a gallery picture of a sunburst veneered table, but no article. From my search, only issues #111, 127 and 206 showed potential.

Edited for Update: Need to add issue #69 to the list.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 07-08-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Not sure about the finewoodworking issue but do check out the tutorials by our own Mike Henderson:

http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Tutorials.htm
    I don't think I ever did a tutorial on doing a sunburst. But maybe I will later - and add the banding feature.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.