Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here have experience in automotive electrical issues?

Anybody here have experience in automotive electrical issues?

The ole pathfinder has some kind of weird electrical problem.

New battery, alternator seems to be generating a decent charging voltage around 14+ volts. It starts fine and runs good, but some of the accessories just don't work right. The dash voltmeter reads lower than my voltmeter on the battery. Put on the turn signals and the voltmeter bounces in time to the flashes. Turn on the headlights and the relays on the fuse box buzz and the whole electrical system goes crazy. Same with windows.

Going to run some more tests later to see if I can narrow things down.

Very frustrating in this heat to not be able to roll the windows down...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Did you kick it? Sorry, that's about all the help I can give.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Brent,

I had a similar problem with an S-10 I had once. Turns out the ground where it went through the firewall was corroded. I ran a new Ground wire from the battery to the dash and the problem went away.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

a bad ground was my choice as well brent am not a mechanic guru but from what i have dealt with it sounds like a ground problem.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Bad ground here too...definitely

edit...could be power cable to that area (or connection at power block), but most likely ground
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 07-08-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks guys. Seems like the thing to check. I've got all the schematics, now if I can just find out where the fuse block gets it's ground, I'll give that a shot.

Funny thing is I've got a post on the nissan forums about this and not one suggestion. 1 hour here and look at all the help I got. And this forum isn't even about cars
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Thanks guys. Seems like the thing to check. I've got all the schematics, now if I can just find out where the fuse block gets it's ground, I'll give that a shot.

Funny thing is I've got a post on the nissan forums about this and not one suggestion. 1 hour here and look at all the help I got. And this forum isn't even about cars
    its like politicians brent they spout off about things they have no clue on like real jobs or work ethics
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Check also the ground between engine and chassis. The battery to chassis (negative cable) may be corroded at the chassis, also.

Good luck. This kind of problem is often a bear to solve. (Sixteen years experience as an aircraft electrical technician - DAMHIKT)
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

+1 on a bad ground someplace. May be difficult to find. Start with the obvious options first.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I would just run a seperate ground from the batter and be done with it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward