Beading for Travis

Dave Richards

Travis, lets see if these provide some help. Let me know if you need some clarification. These are zipped SKP files. Click on the Scene tabs to step through.

FollowMeBead shows how to apply a bead around the edge of a board. This creates the detail but not the individual components of the beading.

BeadCutting Plane shows how to make the individual parts using cutting planes to cut the miters.

Last edited:
That works. That is the point I was having trouble, getting the offset tool to go all the way around a complete board.

I am sometimes a bit slow, but sooner or later I seem to get it (most times later).

snap to??

hey dave does your template that you posted have something along the lines of snap to quides in it? seems when i tried to move a piece ever so little it would jump to a certain postion on its own. in my world that would be considered snap to quides and was something that can be turned off if i choose to. thanks for your help

Larry, in my template Enable Length Snapping is turned off so SU won't snap at specific intervals. SketchUp will however snap to ends or midpoints of lines or centers of circles and that sort of thing. That's part of the inferencing engine and can't be turned off.

If you are trying to move geometry, start the move in the proper direction and then type the distance of the desired move and hit Enter. So if you want to move a table leg 3/8" in the red direction, start moving the leg in that direction. Let go of the mouse and just start typing the distance. In this case you would type 3/8 and hit Enter.

Does that get at what you're asking about?