I'm just waiting for my daughter Sue to pick this up. Finished it a few weeks ago.
She wanted a cherry hope chest but she wanted the chest to be painted a special historic yellow she likes. I couldn't see painting the cherry so I made the chest part out of poplar and the top and bottom out of cherry.
The color she picked out was so yellow that it looked like a ripe lemon. Nothing like what was on the color swab. It's supposed to be a old federal, almost burnt yellow.
I experimented with wiping on brown paint over the yellow and wiping it off. It was too brown. I then wiped a little more yellow over the brown and it came out pretty well. Not what I had hoped for though. I'm sure she will like it.
I found an antique sliding keyhole cover at an antique store. Thought it would break up the plain front a bit.