Cherry chest

Bob Gibson

I'm just waiting for my daughter Sue to pick this up. Finished it a few weeks ago.
She wanted a cherry hope chest but she wanted the chest to be painted a special historic yellow she likes. I couldn't see painting the cherry :eek: :doh:so I made the chest part out of poplar and the top and bottom out of cherry.
The color she picked out was so yellow that it looked like a ripe lemon. Nothing like what was on the color swab. It's supposed to be a old federal, almost burnt yellow.
I experimented with wiping on brown paint over the yellow and wiping it off. It was too brown. I then wiped a little more yellow over the brown and it came out pretty well. Not what I had hoped for though.:( I'm sure she will like it. :dunno:
I found an antique sliding keyhole cover at an antique store. Thought it would break up the plain front a bit.
Lousy pictures.
chest 1 (600 x 400).jpg

chest 2 (600 x 400).jpg

sure glad you didnt paint some cherry bob i would have to take you off the xmas list:) looks nice, wouldlike to see her antigue idea she was tryun to copy..never seen yellow on antiques before:huh::huh: