Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LRH magic molder??

LRH magic molder??

anyone here use one? and can you get "custom profiles" for it. and how do you get them resharpend or do you need to but new inserts? whats your opinion on it?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Haven't used that specific one but I used to have the 3 cutter one from craftsman for the table saw. I wish I still had it. That one was hss and it cut very well.

i have the old craftsman alan, and the magic molder is a much better tool from what i have seen.. no experience in one yet

I saw the video about it. Looks like something new to add to my wish list

I had something like it years ago for my RAS. A little scary using it on the RAS.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

ahe buddy, i wouldnt use one a RAS bob,,, it wasnt meant for that saw and it could get real nasty fast.. am possibly looking at a insert shaper head instead, any opinions on who makes a good one for the small shop guy? and any info as to what to get or not get would be helpful..

I have a Flury European shaper head with HSS inserts. When I needed a custom profile I called W. Moore Profiles. They will design and cut a pair of custom cutters for the head, in the mail the next day, $75. I sent a pencil sketch (scanned) and the cutter arrived a few days later and worked perfectly.

I have the craftsman version of the LRH, and it scares me too much to use any more.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Hey Larry give Ballew's a call and they can tell ya and may even make cutters for it.
    Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well for the sake of this thread and those like me that aint ever heard of this tool here is a link to manufacturers site.
    http://www.lrhent.com/index.htm

Then Larry just looking at the custom bit requirement there is a special order form here for it

http://www.lrhent.com/cust.htm

And what really helped me see the value was this article here from American woodworker. Its pdf so can be downloaded and saved for reading later.

Check out page 4 doing a curved shaped piece of wood and cutting moulder profiles in it WOW

Now i have a stupid question given i aint ever seen one of these before, never mind used one, what size table saw would this need to be able to swing it. ?

Looking at the whole spiel it doesnt mention that anywhere on the site.

I guess if one took it easy and did multiple passes light cuts and cranked the blade up a small amount each pass it would work on just about any HP. Just take a while if you plan on numerous moulding profiles over a wide board.???

I saw from the distributors list that the Leitz guys in Mi Grand Rapids are distributors close to you.

Not a cheap tool but i guess if you can make it pay its a cost effective way of adding value to wood.
    cheers

Interesting I am in the need for a fair amount of bead board and am waiting for a price from a custom molder for them. I will compare that price and the purchase of the magic molder and the raw lumber and maybe make my own. Thanks Larry for bringing this tool to my attention and thanks Rob for the links

thanks guys charlie you got link to flury? i have sen them in the past but at the time didnt have a shaper to run them,, and where is the moore brothers at for custum knives? what size of head are you running ? rob they are pricey and i have seen them ran on contractor saws.. the craftsman version.. and the lrh is just much better made and safer!!!