Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Chair Fix

A Quick Chair Fix

Today, I was at my sushi shop customer, doing a delivery, and I noticed that two of their chairs were duct taped up

I asked the Mama san about it, and she said they were broken. The duct tape was the lousy brown kind and it had dried up and left a sticky mess, she was concerned that it might get on some customer's clothes, so she was contemplating tossing the chairs. I had a quick look and said "I can fix that, not problem, better than new"

Once I finished up deliveries, I took the chair down to the Dungeon and got to work, here is what I started out with....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sushiya_chair_1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	47003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sushiya_chair_2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	47004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sushiya_chair_3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	47005
    It originally had 4 long brass threaded rods that went from the bottom to the top to hold these rib like back pieces in place, the brass is soft and it broke. The had someone fix it once, they just pounded some nails into the lower part, clipped the heads off and pounded the top two rails into place, they also used some epoxy, which is way too brittle for this job. They paid somethings like $50 a chair to have two of them fixed and the fix did not even last two years.

The problem is the design, the top two back rail things have zero support and take all the abuse. I came up with a way to make it all a lot stronger, add no more metal, and hopefully look have decent....

Name:	sushiya_chair_4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	47006
    First I made some cuts along the back of the chair near the upright back chair posts.

Name:	sushiya_chair_5.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	47007
    Then, using my rabbeting plane I made a nice flat spot for the supports to sit.

Name:	sushiya_chair_6.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	47008
    I used some half round I had kicking around, it was exactly the right size! I did carve round over the ends before I glued it up, I also removed all the old glue off the pieces, and planed them flat, so they would mate up nicely, providing lots of surface area to glue.

Name:	sushiya_chair_7.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	47009
    I had to use a few clamps to get everything lined up and then tight

Name:	sushiya_chair_8.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	47010 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sushiya_chair_9.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	47011
    The results after a couple of coats of lacquer, I think they will be pleased with it, no new nails or such were used, I was concerned the wood was getting turned into Swiss Cheese.

It seem plenty strong, I took it back and dropped it off, but they were busy, so I did not get a chance to talk to them.

If they like what I did, I'll do the other busted one too, and I'm sure this will not be the last one.

Not going to go into business with this stuff, but it was fun, and my customer really appreciates it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Who would have thought their liquor supplier would be such a full service customer oriented business!

I'm sure they will appreciate it, and it doesn't hurt to be developing such a good relationship with your customers...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks Brent.

They know I'm handy and I've fixed little things for them in the past too.

We have to offer a full service, the discount shops are cheaper than us, and we can't match their prices
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice fix but more than I would call a "quick" fix.
    However, I'm with Mamasan. I would have tossed them based on just the ugly factor.
    However, I do understand different cultural tastes.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Yep, they are not pretty, but they are 15 years old and have survived 6 days a week use, so they are well made, just this one flaw that is showing up now.

They are small chairs, most of us would consider them kids size but they are for use in a small sushi shop, where space is expensive. They do the trick for sure.
    William Arthur Ward

That worked out great. I'm sure they'll be pleased. Stu's Wine, Liquor and Chair Repair ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    That worked out great. I'm sure they'll be pleased. Stu's Wine, Liquor and Chair Repair ;-)
    Don't forget "Fine Cigars"
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Don't forget "Fine Cigars"
    And welding.

Nice fix, Stu, and probably worth tons in customer relations.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Imho you done real good there. Not only in fixing/recycling the chair but enhancing your L stores value proposition and showing ability to provide creative solutions. Had the chair gone to the recycling dump it would have cost a bit to replace and then not neccessary matched the old ones when replaced.

I would love to hear the feedback when you get a chance to speak to her. Hope she aint like your MIL more of that type of attitude would get me down.

Nice save all round Stu, also good for the environment.
    cheers

No she is not like the Monster In Law, thank goodness, few are

She will pay me back in other ways, I'll get some fruit or some such thing, the next time they get a box of fruit from someone as a gift, this kind of giving goes round and round, and I'm not keeping score, not need to when you are dealing with good people!
    William Arthur Ward