Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup...

World Cup...

Congratulations to Spain.

I'm no expert at the game, but I have to say I was rather disappointed, and that isn't just because I was cheering for The Netherlands. It was not a very nice game. The ref was very aggressive I thought, handing out yellow cards left and right, and there were a couple of very glaring missed calls.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Yeppers. congrats to Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    ...there were a couple of very glaring missed calls.
    Apparently that's considered a vital part of the sport. I've read a lot of comments supporting the status quo.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I watched a bit of it, and was convinced that the officiating in soccer, er, football, is part of the randomness of the game. But congrats to Espana for the totally inspirational 1-0 win!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Congrats to Spain, I know some Spanish guys here who are over the moon that they won, but even they have complained about the really boring play that Spain used to get there.

I hear it was a real thug-fest

I've read some accounts online, and some of the sports writers are saying the English ref could have and should have gone to the yellow card more often and sooner. "The Dutch gooned it up and Spain had to answer", is what I'm reading. The ref gave out 14 yellow cards, the previous record was 6 yellow cards in the 1986 final between West Germany and Argentina, more than a two fold increase

From what I've read this boring thug-fest will only make the game less popular in the US the one market that FIFA has not yet conquered.

I spent my time enjoying the day with my wife and daughter, time well spent!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Geez, I was reading about the cleat to the chest of the one Dutch goon, but you have to see it to believe it.....

>> Link <<

Cleats to the chest, the only thing the guy has on to protect him is a thin jersey, and the ref only gives a yellow card That thug should have been gone, that could have killed the Spanish player, stopped his heart, look at how hard it rocks his whole body.

And some people say Ice Hockey is rough
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Is it me or will this world cup go down as having some really, really, bad officiating? (But seriously, I know NOTHING about soccer, er, football, but that didn't look right no matter what).
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well I didn't watch 1 second of the world cup and now I am glad. I like so many other find the game boring. Now I have to wait 4 years not to watch it again...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You know what I really like watching? It can probably make the world cup look interesting to many of you....

It's the Americas Cup Yacht racing. I love it. Couldn't stand that last year it wasn't televised in the US....

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    QUOTE=Brent Dowell;227202]
    It's the Americas Cup Yacht racing. I love it. Couldn't stand that last year it wasn't televised in the US....[/QUOTE]

actually I like watching it too...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Congrats to Spain.

Being a big soccer fan I was disappointed in the caliber of play. Kind of a boring game.

You're right, the Netherland players were thugs.
    Faith, Hope & Charity