Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool owner advice needed

Pool owner advice needed

My wife have been looking at various properties, one is a foreclosure that needs a bit of work. This particular home has a pool, which I've never owned before. The pool has grown a good deal of moss over it, and I'm wondering what would be involved in cleaning it up. Would it be best to completely drain it and start fresh? Or to filter and remove the moss?

What other things should I look for to avoid just having a concrete pond off my back porch?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pool.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Wow, I have no advice on how to really handle that, but all I can say is on warm days, it's really nice to have place to take a cool dip.

Ours is just a little above ground, but it really takes the edge off on the warmest days of summer.

That being said, on some of the sites I've visited on pool maintenance, I believe it's possible to clean that up, but it would be a lot of work no matter if you emptied it, or nuked it and filtered it. I know my next door neighbors pool looked like that after they left, but the current owners have it cleaned up and are using it, and I don't think the drained and refilled.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wow, that does look like a lot of work, maybe you should just stock it with fish and get a fishing pole
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Darren,
    I had 2 pools in California and have one here in Arizona. My advise would be to drain the pool, acid wash with muriadic (sp) acid then refill. It is very do able.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks guys, a pool is on my wife's want list, and the property has just about everything we are looking for, just hadn't planned on buying for another 3 months or more since we're still in a lease, but it's cheap enough that we can do the fixing up without having to live in the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That being said, on some of the sites I've visited on pool maintenance, I believe it's possible to clean that up, but it would be a lot of work no matter if you emptied it, or nuked it and filtered it. I know my next door neighbors pool looked like that after they left, but the current owners have it cleaned up and are using it, and I don't think the drained and refilled.
    I'd be interested in how they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Wow, that does look like a lot of work, maybe you should just stock it with fish and get a fishing pole
    Ha, well maybe some grass carp would do the job for me, maybe my wife wouldn't mind swimming with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Darren,
    I had 2 pools in California and have one here in Arizona. My advise would be to drain the pool, acid wash with muriadic (sp) acid then refill. It is very do able.
    What does the muriatic acid do exactly? The property is old enough that it originally had a well, it may still be functional and an option for refilling to keep costs down.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Muricadic acid is used as a normal chemical to adjust the pH of the water but in the case of this pools it will kill all of the algee.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

This looks like decent info....

>> LINK <<

.... it does not look that hard, or expensive, a bit of work maybe, but that is good for the diet anyways

Watch the two videos as well.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great find on those videos Stu! Learned quite a bit from them. If we end up getting the house I'll definitely be learning a lot more and asking questions, but that's a great start.

Thanks!
    Darren

Is a Gunite or vinyl liner? I have no experience with concrete pools, they are quite rare here due to the doubled cost over a liner.

If it has a liner, DO NOT drain it. The water holds in the liner in place. Me, I would just stock up on filter media, start with a shock treatment and it will clear up. In two weeks it should look like spring water. It's going to take a good bit of work though!

As for what to look for, I would be checking the plumbing and pumps to make sure they work properly. What type of filter it has, etc. Just make sure what is there and why it looks the way it does. Obviously this one has been left with no chlorine in it at all. Pumps are probably shut off too? If everything worked, I wouldn't be the least bit scared of it. I would be dreading the initial cleaning though!

Let me add one thing. My pool maintenance takes me 15 minutes once or twice a week. A Polaris (brand name) pool cleaner is a wonderful thing!! As long as you don't try to mico-manage the water, there is nothing to it. I had an uncle that tried to check his everyday and worked his but off. Till he finally walked off and left it along for a week. He learned it took time for things to happen and after that he said Sunday mornings he spent an hour piddling around and cleaning and that was it.

Oh yea, find you a good pool shop too. Some will want to sell you chemicals every time you walk in the door. I found a lady that really understands and doesn't just go by the numbers. She understands 'close enough' and "lets wait and see what happens". Previous place wanted to sell me stuff if the numbers were the sightliest bit off.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

As a pool owner for the past 30 years, I had mine almost that bad one season. First spring after I got a Safety Cover and the pool guys said, "You might want to put Chlorine in each month", he didn't say "Need to" and when I opened I found almost as bad, minus the debris. (Safety cover allow sunlight through and grows green goo)

My best advice is to find a good pool service co. If you do it yourself, you will be spending a lot of time with them getting chemicals, supplies, and advice anyway. I would take a picture to them and ask advice, then ask what they will charge to clean it up.

A well maintained pool is no problem or great expence, but when you let one go, it matches a boat in being a hole in the water you pour money into (in your case a hole in the ground) But once you get it cleaned and if you do regular simple upkeep it is no more than maintaining the lawn.

For DIY Start by skimming off the floating goop and trash. If it is a sand filter. let it rund and watch the pressure, when it goes up, time to back flush. (bone up on filter operation) add chemicals as discribed by your service (bone up on what they do) Get a vacuum, either a robot or hand held, Clean often, More chemicals, then when it is clean but not clear, I would change the sand (a Pain in the posterier) but it will clean up after that (again bone up on the filter) This is why I feel it is cheaper to have a service call and you pay attention to what they do. The next time you will be the resident pool boy.