Drill Press Advice needed for Turning ??

Dan Mosley

I ran into a guy that is selling off some of his equipment. I could really use a larger drill press and wrote him asking for pictures and pricing on them. (see attached pictures). One of them is a Craftsman and the other is a Maric, both are 110v,...........asking 175 for either of them....taller one is the craftsman
Anybody have an idea which is the better of them and if they are worth what he is asking ?................

Attachments

• 2009_11190042.jpg
    2009_11190042.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 2009_11190043.jpg
    2009_11190043.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2010_02110049.jpg
    2010_02110049.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2010_02110050.jpg
    2010_02110050.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2010_02110051.jpg
    2010_02110051.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 2010_02110056.jpg
    2010_02110056.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 44
You might want to research how they handle the depth stop.

My grizz has a rotating knob by the actuating wheel. Not sure it's the best way. I've seen otheres that have a threaded bar on the opposite side that you use a nut to adjust the depth stop. I don't have experience with it, but I think I'd probably prefer that. Maybe some one else can chime in on what depth stop they prefer.

Mine works fine, but it's not the easiest to 'micro adjust'....

Sent a message off asking about the Hp, chuck size and depth gauge......ill let you know and thanks...........trying to see if he will trade for some or all of it.....thanks

Frank...........thanks im going to offer the 100.............thats about the limit or ill keep looking...........would like to find an old iron type.......im in no hurry so I may just keep looking

Dan can i suggest you try specify what you need in the drill press. That way when you see one you can compare to the equivalent new one. Even before price comes in to play.

I for one want a floor model but i definitely want more distance between the drill point and the post. I think they call this swing.

I aint seen one with a swing that is decent below $400 at Grizzly. And on most its a spec they dont even mention. But when you done with the fence and any other fancy setup stuff you put in behind the drill point the depth thats left is small on most.

Of course to have a bigger swing involves more of a base plate to support the greater overhang from the post etc. So more cost.

At least specifying what you definitely want will help you compare apples and make sure you end up with what you want as opposed to just the right price.

My stop is also junk. So its another must solve issue but it can be worked around so its not top of my list.

Table config is going to be another issue. I want to be able to use woodworkers clamps and have a flat surface under my table not a machinest casting.

Also want a decent cut out for drilling through. Handles on the table adjustment and the rack all need to be better than the one i have. The current one i have they are too short. And since reading Carols book i am going to look at the racheting type see if it will make a difference between either totally loose to totally tight. :huh:

Of those two, I'd pick the Craftsman because it has a chuck and I'm sure you can get a parts for it pretty easily. You would have to make a table for it to drill wood, no hole to drill through that I can see. I'd definitely want to run them and see how much wobble is in them.

I offered them 100.00 and got a email tonight saying they will go 150.00 for either one of them..........asked about the jointer and waiting on response.............will probably wait.........stated the craftsman was 3/4 or 5/8 the lady was unsure but it has a 1hp motor...........

I want to add, I have a Marc press. The only difference I see from the picture you posted, is my on/off and light switches are mounted horizon instead of vertical. I've been using it for about 20 years. It is a marginal press. Not the most accurate. I'd feel good getting $100 for it. Some day I want to replace it. I do most of my drilling on the lathe now, because it is accurate and works for the type of work I currently do.