Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Turning Club Meeting

First Turning Club Meeting

Sunday afternoon I finally dragged myself to my first woodturning club meeting. The Glendale Woodturners Guild meets monthly only about 20 minutes from my house, but until now I'd never made it to a meeting. I was probably the third youngest guy there. Nice bunch of guys, and I ended up bringing home several chunks of wood as a result of the raffle.

I didn't realize it until I got to the meeting, but Bill Haskell (recently-resigned AAW National President) is a member of the Glendale club. He wasn't at the meeting, but the club President did mention the brouhaha in the AAW. Another member whose name I recognized from the AAW site was Robert Manning. Seemed like a nice guy, and he's done some nice work.

The demonstration was on carving diminishing spirals on tapered spindles. It was interesting, and I picked up a few tricks that could be applied to other types of turnings. Next month is an all-day session with Eli Avisera, then in September is a day with David Ellsworth. Trying to decide whether to go to either of these, but I may end up going to both. (I'd like to meet Eli and swap lies about Stu.)

Part of the reason I went to this month's meeting was because I noticed on their website they were having a hollow form challenge. Hey! I know how to make those. Turns out they have Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert classes in their challenges, and new members are always in the Beginner class until they win a challenge. After the first win, they get moved up to Intermediate, and if they win two more challenges, they're in the Expert class. I brought a Michigan chocolate crotch hollow form with a finial, and the big NE ash hollow form I showed here a while back. Looks like I'll be in the Intermediate class next time...I got the $25 Craft Supplies gift certificate for winning the Beginner class with the ash HF. There were some other nice pieces, but I've had some Internet schooling from a few good friends. I had a number of folks ask if I was a pro turner. Man, do I have people fooled.

All in all it was a fun meeting, and I expect to start going more regularly now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds like you had fun Vaughn. I looked at their website and I didn't see a schedule for fees or membership. Is it by invite only? I'm not a turner, but I would like to see Eli Avisera demonstrating his craftwork.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

You see it pays to get out from under your rock every now and then!

You got to go see Eli, first off, he is one heck of a turner and teacher, second, he is such a nice all round guy

If you do go and see Eli, make sure you say hi to him from me.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Sounds like you had fun Vaughn. I looked at their website and I didn't see a schedule for fees or membership. Is it by invite only? I'm not a turner, but I would like to see Eli Avisera demonstrating his craftwork.

Cheers,
    Apparently there are no dues, but they take donations at the meeting, and suggest folks pitch in two bucks. The all-day sessions are $30 or $35, if I understood correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    You see it pays to get out from under your rock every now and then!

You got to go see Eli, first off, he is one heck of a turner and teacher, second, he is such a nice all round guy

If you do go and see Eli, make sure you say hi to him from me.

Cheers!
    Aside from the guys demonstrating the Shopsmith at the fair, I've never watched another turner in person. If I had to pick one of the two, it'd probably be Eli, just so I could tell him you called him funny names. Seriously, he sounds like a great guy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds like a pretty good time.

Congrats on moving up to 'intermediate'

Sounds like it's one prestigious woodturning club with a lot of notable turners.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Sounds like a fine experience.
    Your 'dues' are reasonable and the all day sessions are really very inexpensive.
    My club charges $20.00 a year dues and the all day sessions (once or twice a year) are $65.00.
    Members do demos at most of our meetings.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Are you sure there is not a test to move to intermediate?

Beginner, my behind!

Sounds like you have some great turners coming to the club. I would love to see those guys.
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

so the michigan chocolate wasnt any good, huh the ash beat it hands down and its not even a hollow form??? quess i will just burn the rest then for firewood.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Congrats Vaughn! I'll bet you are relieved to not be considered a beginner. Sounds like a great way to spend some time. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

An all day turning event with Eli or David Ellsworth for $30-35. I might need to check ticket prices to LAX...

Congrats on the beat down of the other "beginners"
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website